Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Slap Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Right now I have a 4 string fretless Warwick Corvette and a 5 String Spector (the korean one). I want a nice, punchy, 4 string bass good for slapping. My price range is mid, high-mid. I was thinking a stingray, but i don't know of any other good basses for slap, so other suggestions are good.

Thanks
    John

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Sterling! :) Maybe a Pedulla MVP... tons of choices though.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Warwick Corvette. Those are great for slap.. Oh wait, you have one! I think it's more of the string choice than the bass itself. I have funkmasters on all my basses, and they all easily slappable with great tone. With heavier strings, I could almost never slap well.

4. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    For a mid priced slap bass its tuff to beat a Stingray or Sterling

5. It's fretless with flats which I love the finger tone, but there is no slap tone with that set up.

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    yeah, flats are not the usual choice of slappers.. light gauge roundwounds are most common... I use 30-90's... seems to do the trick.

7. I'd say and Fender Deluxe (MIA or MIM) Active Jazz or a Music Man Stingray.

8. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes... My Fender Deluxe Jazz is great for slapping.

True, many slappers use rounds, but I slap with TI Jazz Flats, and they work very well.

9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Interesting...... hrrm

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Get yourself a matching fretted corvette :)

Honestly, you can slap anything. It'll all be about what _you_ think a good slap tone is. I personally like my bass' slap tone, but I know others don't particularly care for it. Give us an example of something you like. Are you all about the super modern slap tone (Modulus, MTD, etc) or the old school slap tone (passive J, musicman)?

11. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    Cirrus,Cirrus,Cirrus! need i say more :D

12. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ah, then get a sterling.

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
  14. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    IMHO, nuthin beats a Jazz for slappin, but I like the P too.

15. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    I'll second the light gauge roundwound recommendation.

Good slappers include:
    Music Man Stingray
    Warwick Thumb
    Fender Jazz

16. fainax

fainax

Aug 11, 2004
    Rome
    I'll second the light gauge roundwound recommendation.
    I absolutely agree. 0.35 or 0.30 Rotosound are the top choice (IMO) for slappers. They changed my bass-playng style. I fitted all my basses with this gauge and they play lovely, especially the JayDee and the Ibanez Musician fretless (yes, I love Les Claypool and I can get quite the same sound!). The Hoyer Session I have is very similar to his 4-string Carl Thompson, also.

17. I was just at a guitar shop yesterday playing a G&L L2000, and it had the best slap tone I've ever heard, with the possible exception of the Warwick Corvette FNA.

18. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    look around at the throughneck washburn models...they're kind of inconsistant...but i tryed three or four around the area and i found one that was just killer for slap...

19. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    It's either a Kubicki or a Stingray for me.