Good Slap Pop Basses?? Under 1000 Dollers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Newjacksm, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Newjacksm

Sep 28, 2002
    Hey guys what do you think is a good slap pop basses???
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Fender American Jazz
  3. I'd say the Fender American P-Bass,boostees cuz it goes for $800 bucks and has a nice punch for a budget...but then doesn't pick up as many harmonics as the Fender Jazz......
  4. :D :cool: ;)
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The P-bass ain't much of a slap bass. I'd go with a Stingray.
  6. MIA fender jazz.. heck, do some diggin and you can probably find the marcus miller jazz somewhere... but seriously, with practice you can make just about any bass sound good! ;)
  7. c'mon man,obviously the best slapper is my Austin bass...with nameless wood.and a made in china sticker.........I think it's best cuz you can slap the **** out of it and beat it bad...and still never feel bad!
  8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...should cost you about $750. SR (used) is good too, but not as good. New SR is over $1000.
  9. Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Used Sterling

Used Cirrus (not even joking)

i also like the way a Fender jazz sounds when its slapped.
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the american jazz!!!!
    i put it in series so i have that stingray tone.
    WOW!! now all i need to do is put a switch so i can switch it back and forth from series to parallel.

12. hmmm... interesting concept!!!!!!:cool:

i'd like to hear that (series vs parallel)

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Another vote for the used Cirrus. These can be had for under a grand, easy.

I would also recommend checking into a Warwick FNA. These can be had for under a grand used also, and have a verrrrry nice slap/pop sound.
  14. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    You may like to try the Lakland Skyline? I'm finding it hard to find a better deal out there for a sub $1K Bass. The J - MM pick up set up is pretty sweet. I had the chance to play the Skyline Jazz (Joe Osborne) and it felt as good or better than most of the Fender Jazz's I've played. This is all IMHO, I'm not sayin' go out and slap your hard earned cash down on one, but I recommend you at least try one out before you buy. Good luck!
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for the Peavey Cirrus. My Cirrus 6 has the best slap tone that I have ever heard. It makes me want to slap lines that are supposed to be fingerstyle.
  16. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
  17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    low line mtds
    cirrus's used (I think the 5s are a little narrow, so that may not be good)
    musicman olps aren't terrrble
    Really cheap spectors! The almost cheap ones suck, but the REALLY cheap ones rock.