1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"good" slap/pop technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 20, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    okay, so i've been becoming very confused in the last couple days as i continue to slap and pop. when you slap the string with your thumb, do most people feel it's correct to slap it so the string hits perpendicular to the fret board...or do most people slap somehow differently? Also, one thing that is bugging me very much, is the open-hammer-pluck, and the double thump/thumb (not sure on the name). I have read online on victor's site on how to do the open hammer pluck, but that hasn't helped me. Both the OHP and the double..i just can't figure them out. how does the double thing actually work? when you slap the string does the thumb go under the string and then back up? and if so how does that work on the thiner strings where theres less room? and also..how do you actually do the OHP or the double thump/thumb to the speed at wich you can hear on victors classical thump?

anyway..all of those are very newbee quistions. i'm getting a bass instructor soon who will be able to clear it up for me..but for now..this is the best help i have. also..instead of actually answering all those quistions...a link to a site that describes it would be nice. ive checked out a few sites..and come out with some stuff...but nothing to helpfull. any help is greatly apreciated.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    IMHO - Victor Wooten's open hammer pluck technique is not a good technique for beginners. IMO - It's a more advanced technique and you need to learn to walk before you learn to run. Also, IMHO - It's not even a very musical technique except for maybe in the hands of Vic Wooten. I think more people should be concentrating on how to groove and play the bass, not how fast they can make it go "thwackity thwackity thwackity thwackity".
    Please don't flame me if you think that open hammer pluck double thump thwickity thwackity is a great musical technique - These are just my opinions.

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI

nah, i totally understand. and i'll admit..i'm a person that runs first, then walks, and then learns to walk correctly and then finnally learns to run correctly when it comes to playing bass.

i also don't think the open hammer pluck is musical, i really don't think most slap is musical..i just play it cause it's a neat and fun way to play..and i love to expand my "skills"

4. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    i was just about to post on something like that. If yoou watch Larry Graham slap its very differant to how Flea slaps. Personally i slap like flea and i do the Wooten double thumb thing as well. I don't get how Larry Graham slaps. I have even watched the videos doesn't help.

5. Open hammer pluck is really just using the left hand more. You need to be able to fit those extra hammer ons in between the slap and pop(s), keeping the right hand motion constant, as if the hammered note wasn't there.

I'm not very good at double thumb, but as I understand it: If you want to double thumb on the E string, your thumb should come to rest on the A string, having caught the E on the way down. It then goes back up through the E, using your nail. This is almost moving across the strings, rather than down into the body of the bass. Alot of books tell you that for "normal" slap, your thumb should be bouncing on the string you're slapping. Most of the really well known slap players don't do this, and go through instead (larry graham, victor wooten, marcus miller, to name a few). I find that it gives a fuller sound, and even sounds good on the D and G string.

Speed doesn't require any change in technique, other than making the movements smaller and faster. The more you practice it, the more natural the motion will feel and the less effort you'll need. Once basic patterns become easy, you'll be able to speed them up, and over the course of years you'll find it no trouble to play much faster, and wonder why you couldn't before :)

Emlyn

ps. IMO, because things are fast does not mean they are lacking in musicality or feel or anything else. If you can't play music with OHP or double thumb, then thats not a problem with the technique, its what you're playing with it. As for slap as a whole not being musical... well thats like saying drums and percussion aren't musical.

6. Expert Village

Expert Village

Apr 24, 2006