Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Slap strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by someyoungphenom, Sep 4, 2001.

1. someyoungphenom

someyoungphenom

Aug 28, 2001
    If i want a wooten sound what kind of strings should i use? I want a nice slap sound. Thanx.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    syp, I'm not much of a slapper (haven't had the need to figure it out), but you could always try Victor Wooten's signature set from Fodera.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Hi,

To get a nice slap sound, use new roundwoud strings, coupled with an active preamp, with the bass and treble turned up, mids down, compression on, but most important of all, GOOD TECHNIQUE.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't need any signature strings.
    Get some good roundwounds, maybe a little lighter gauged.
    The folks here seem to favour nickel strings, but if your bass is a bit on the dark side soundwise, you might want to try stainless steel.
    Personally I generally like stainless steels better.

5. I would have to agree with Bass Guitar and add that different instruments will have different slap tones. Your action on you bass will effect your slap tone as well. I have heard that Vic has a very low action and very light strings.

You should probably just expirment around with strings until you find ones you like. I find that DR Nickel Plated Lo-Riders slap well for me.

6. someyoungphenom

someyoungphenom

Aug 28, 2001
    what does action mean?

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The distance between the strings and the fretboard.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    DR Hi-Beams, Fat Beams, Dean Markley Blue Steel, Ernie Ball Slinky. Stick with roundwound, of course, and go for stainless steel for the brightest tone. D'Addario Prism are also very bright and good for slap.

9. someyoungphenom

someyoungphenom

Aug 28, 2001
    how do you raise and lower the action?

10. VERY Carefully!

you may want to do a search on the Setup threads. This question has been answered many times. If you can't find anything, let us know and we will piont you in the right direction.

fenders site has a good setup page.

http://www.mrgearhead.net/

go to setup and the fender basses.

11. someyoungphenom

someyoungphenom

Aug 28, 2001
    thanx a lot guys not only do i know more about string but i lowered my action as well.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey Bud, I really think that Ken Smith Rock Masters are the best slap bass strings for the money and they are being sold by Musicians Friend for $13.89 a set now. That is worth checking them out. Other strings may be more popular, but these are really good slap strings. Also a maple fingerboard and an active eletronic system doesn't hurt either
    God Bless Man
    scott

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Saddles on the bridges can lower your action a little bit.. but its mostly on the tross rod setup you do :)

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Nope. Turning the truss rod changes the relief, i.e. the bow on the neck. You straighten the neck to avoid fret buzz on the higher frets when the action has been lowered. Action is adjusted at the bridge saddles.

Don't teach the newbie the wrong things! ;)

(I just hope that I got it right... lack of sleep keeps me from thinking straight. 1½ hours of sleep for the last 39... not recommended I tell ya.)

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Don't teach the newbie wrong things, indeed!! Methinks it's time for bed, Oysterman.... The truss rod does change the relief of the neck, but why would you want to straighten the neck if it is buzzing at the higher frets? The rod would probably have to be loosened, so there was more bow to the neck.
    Action is not done solely at the bridge saddles; action is a combination of many things, like saddle height, neck adjustment, and neck tilt (if it is a bolt-on)

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Heh, I've never gotten that straight ( :rolleyes: ) - which frets are higher and which frets are lower... I think I got it now: the higher frets are the ones closer to the head and NOT vice versa, as I thought before. Can't blame lack of sleep for that one, it was just plain ignorance. :) Good think you straightened it out ( :rolleyes: ). :D

17. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Hi Oysterman,

I am confused too. You are not alone. :)

Are higher frets higher notes or lower notes? :confused:

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    :confused:

Now I'm confused too! I always tought that high frets were the ones with high notes, and high numbers - above the twelfth fret, and so on. What's up with this?

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Place your bass in a guitar stand. The high frets are the one farthest from the ground, higher up. :)

Right? :confused: Or do I need even more sleep?

Maybe I should just shut up and play.