Good slappin' bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Obsdian, Oct 26, 2002.

1. What's a decent priced 4-string with at least 22 frets that's a great slapper?
  2. Cort Curbow
    MIM Fender
    MTD Kingston
  3. I've seen "MIM" on these boards a million times, what does it stand for?
  4. MIM, MIA, and MIJ generally describe Fender instruments and where they were made.

MIM is "Made In Mexico"
    MIJ is "Made In Japan"
    MIA is "Made in America"

Fender instruments tend not to have "at least 22 frets," however.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MIM stands for Made In Mexico.

The Jazz is the standard by which all other slappers are measured, but it only has 20 frets.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    May I ask why you need the 2 extra frets? Is the 8 extra notes gonna make a difference? If you think it won"t then a standard jazz is the ticket.
  7. Although I'll be using the bass primarily as a slapper, I'd like to do some upper register work with it as well.
  8. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Slapping- Yes, we've all heard it: Warwick Thumb. My lakland skyline also has a beautiful slap tone in my opinion.

Edit: sorry, when I said warwick thumb I hadn't seen you said decently priced ;)
  9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Higher register you say, that's what harmonics are for. any note but c or f.
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Correction: 2 notes :D
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Ibanez ATK!

my God! the best slap tone for the money
  12. Any bass with a bright sounding pickup at the the bridge will give you a decent slap tone. I don't care what anyone says, the best slap tone I've ever heard comes from a humbucker; I.E. MM Stingray. And the Ibanez ATK gets that sound, without a price. The OLP I tried didn't get that tone.
  13. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    you gonna be slappin at the 22nd fret???

definitely check out the MTD kingston or heir. (24frets)
    quality is awesome, and you can get the action SUPER LOW on the flat-radius fingerboard.
    ...essential for slapping, IMHO.
  14. I like my Fender Stu Hamm the urge 1 bass. I seem to feel more confortable with the fenders with the pickguard.
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    2 extra frets=2 extra notes per string. Take that times 4 strings and you get 8.:)
  16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    What do you consider a decent price?
    How about a grand new, or 600+ for used?
    Then think about a MM Sterling.

I could go on & on.....:D
  17. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    But there are in total only two extra notes to be played if the bass is tuned in standard tuning: E & F on frets 21 & 22 on the G string.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get a Rickenbacker! :eek: You think I'm joking? Get a hold some old Rick James footage.
  19. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    that's a damn good point.

and if you're missing those 2 top notes, then you really should be thinking about getting a 5 string or 6 string bass.

i'm trying to remember the last time i picked up a vintage jazz or P bass, and thought, "man, having no 24th fret is messing me up".
  20. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    try a G&L L_2500, tones full cranked up on highs and lows, active boost and both pickup. NO mercy for the others... but maybe an old *good* fender jazz..

trust me!

an Italian G&L enthusiast...