Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good slapping plus easy popping strings ??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I'm just learning to slap and am having great fun with my "beater" bass (an 80's vintage Ibanez RB-999 "Bean-bass"). The RB 999 has nice wide spacing and sounds really good for the little dough I paid for it. It's the first bass that I feel comfortable slapping on.

My problem is that it is strung with what feels and looks like generic Med-Heavy strings. This makes the E & A sound good when slapped but the D & G really need to be quite deliberately pulled hard, to get a nice pop. The upper strings have a lot more tension than the medium Dean Markleys I use on my Godin BG-5 or the stock strings on my Lakland 55-01 which seem to pop very easily.

I'm looking for something with less tension, but still with some girth on the lower strings for slapping, but will be a bit more flexible for popping and fingerstyle. Any suggestions?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dr lo riders, medium gauge. I use stainless. I had ernie balls on before and noticed they had high tension D and G strings, these are much better.

3. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    Australia
    are ghs flea bass strings any good for slap?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Ken Smith Slapmasters would be good for you.

5. DR highbeams, Fodera Vic Wooten sig. strings, pretty much any roundcore, stainless string

6. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    Australia
    so i should try ken smith slapmasters

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes, easily the easiest string to slap with! :cool:

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm not much of a slapper but the DR Fat Beams I had on my Read J were easy slapping, popping, and had that Marcus tone. Having an ash-bodied J didn't hurt either :D

9. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I like the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (Nickel) 45-100. Nice slap/pop sounds on my Sterling (like thats hard to believe :rolleyes: :D ) Tension seems medium-tight. Never could get it on with Boomers on any bass...just wore out a set of Flea Signatures that I was curious about...ok, but nothing special.

Currently I am test-driving a set of DR Low-Rider nickels which are pretty good on my Sterling. The tension I'd say is tight but good for funk/rock.

For the price, try a set of Slinkys. I, myself, do not like stainless steels, so I'm not sure what those options may be (I do have a set of Bootsy's Bootzillias, but I'm keepin' em in the box since Bootsy personally autographed them at Sam Ash here in Cincy :D :D ).

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have used the majority of string makers out there to acheive different results for different basses. I come from the FUNK school of bass players, not bass players playing funk! out of all the strings I've tried for slapping the easiest strings to slap with are "slap masters by Ken Smith" There are others that sound better imho but the poster asked for strings with light tension. I have used every string that has been mentioned so far in this thread and while most are dead on for slapping they are better suited for the experienced player that doesn't have tension issues. I myself normally use 45, 65, 85, 105-110's to slap with. 40, 60, 80, 100's are kinda thin and slinky for me although I have 3 or 4 new sets of these gauges laying around. Those are the gauges to learn on until you get your chops up where you can move up to the 45's. Remember let the bass and amp do the work, no need to beat on or pull the strings to the next room to get a decent sound!

11. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    Australia
    so ghs flea bass boomers arent worth it

12. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Not to me. Not really sure what the hype is about, but again, never been a Boomers fan. Quality-wise, they are pretty solid though

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on these. I used Bass Boomers before, but Lo-riders are great!! I've heard good things about SlapMasters and I mean to try some, but I just love the DR tone and it's hard to switch

14. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    have you tried any Rotosounds? they have a good slap tone on my fender Jazz!!!! :p

15. I also have a "Jazz", and would be really interested to hear input on that one! I also have a Rick that I'm thinking of using as a "Funk"-shun bass and keep the Jazz for jazz...

Thoughts on strings for that "unique" Rick pickup sound for funk???

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    He didn't ask for a good sounding string he asked for a more flexible string than what he was using, roto sounds are a little stiff so they are definately not what he wants. Remember he is LEARNING, the roto's will ring too much for him. Plus they're fret eaters, making slapping and popping hard on the neckfinish and frets! :scowl:

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    DR Lo-Riders thump 'n pop for me quite well. It's all I ever buy, unless in case of emergency.