Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good small Amp 15-35 watt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Aug 2, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    I'm just getting back into playing the Bass and am looking for a good small amp. Doesnt have to be the best, but dont want crap either. Just something above average that will sound good. Anybody got some input?

I used to have a 25 watt Holmes amp back in the day, got it back when I was in middle school. My parents recently pulled my old Fender Bullet Bass, along with the amp and case out of the back corner of the old basement, and sold it at a yard sale for $50. Yes I am seriously POed, and would like to get a replacement! Thanks.

2. Got To Groove

Got To Groove Guest

Jun 14, 2005
    peavy microbass is what i use as a practise amp....its around 15-30 W but i think it sound like CRAP...... but if u want a good amp whit low wattage and low price u can take a looka at:

fender Rumble

Ashdown Five Fifteen (not sure aboute the name)

thay sound pretty good and dont cost so much!

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    DO NOT BUY THE ASHDOWN FIVE FIFTEEN!!! i have one, after a while it stopped doing what it was told. no matter how much i turned down the middle, it was still there, it distorts at about four or five gain, lacks clarity and punch, and has a thin bottom end.

buy an swr la, or a peavey, or a laney,

JUST NOT THE FIVE FIFTEEN!

4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Peavey is the way to go for small amps. I would go for the Basic 112.

I had an old Basic 40 amp, and still regret selling it so much it was great !

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i've heard good things about the Warwick Blue Cabs - they come out as 20w and 30w versions

got some good reviews by Bassplayer magazine...

6. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    The local music store has Fender and Crate, but those are definitely on the high price side (the 15 watts are going for $140 and $120 respectively).

Ive seen an Ibanez 10watt for $70 but not too sure of the quality, I havent heard much about em. Hartke has a few smaller amps under $200. Ive seen their 30watt amp at $140, and the 15watt is around $80. Anybody know about the quality/sound of these?

7. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    go for HARTKE A35
    U will be surprised how good is.
    It handles my MM sting ray with ease.

8. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    THUMBS DOWN for the Fender Frontman 15B (15w 8" driver)

Sound is POOR
    Distorts / Farts above a 4-5 level (eq'd flat) with a passive bass (both my 4 and 5 strings)

Funny thing was I ran the External Speaker line to my Peavey 1x18 sub and it actually sounded pretty darn good and loud! I tried it also on my Peavey 2x15 cab with slightly better results.

My conclusion was that (at least in this case) the Fender Frontman 15B has an inadequate driver. Replacing it with a higher quality, long throw driver would turn it into a decent little practice amp. It appears that a 10" driver can be easily installed in place of the 8" that comes in the unit. Though upgrading the driver will raise the overall cost of about $85 by $20 - $50 or more, depending on the replacement driver cost.

9. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Anybody used the smaller Fender Rumble or Crate amps?

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Used J station and a decent pair of headphones. Will sound far, far better than any small practice amp.

11. i was thinking about practice amps last night. funny how we don't want to spend too much on a practice amp, yet we probably spend most of our time infront of those amps, figuring out tunes, working on ideas, and honing our skills. i don't fire up my big heads unless i'm gigging or our band is practicing, which is maybe twice a week. i do sit infront of my practice amps anywhere between 1 to 4 hours a day though, so why would we want to listen to some practice amp that is of inferior sound quality? anyway, over the years i've found two amps that i practice with and am very happy with their sounds. for what it's worth, they are:

1. An older Fender Rad Bass amp. I think it was the model before the awful BXR series. The Fender Rad is 25 watts and i replaced the speaker with a eminence 10" speaker and it is a wonderful toneful amp that is truly a pleasure to listen to.

2. A 70's tube driven Traynor Bass Mate. 15-20 watts, apparently, although it gets very loud. I also replaced the speaker with an eminence 15" speaker. You can still find these amps around, they last forever and sound really really good.

personally, i haven't heard too many newer low watt "practice amps" that sound better than these. but again, i haven't tried everything that's out there.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, around these wattages they're all crap. Around 50-60 watts is where you start to get quality. For around $300 you can find a Vox T-60, my personal favorite with a vintage vibe, or a Gallien Krueger Backline 110 for a more modern bite.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Used Peavey. Built like tanks, sound decent, and very low cost. No "sexy" factor, but that's not what you're looking for in a little low-watt practice combo anyway. In the U.S., simply can't be beat for the price.

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm looking for small, too. Anyone have experience with the tiny Drive combos? Basically I'm looking for something I can pick up with one hand and bring to the Berklee practice rooms that is audible, and doesn't suck quite as much as you expect it should. Only doing this because I want to avoid a headphone amp.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very crappy.

16. I've been happy with a Roland Bass cube 30. Picked one up for a little over $200.00. The effects are worthless but the amp modeling yeilds some useful tone. It also handles a B string pretty well.

17. Same here. This is a wonderful little amp. Only a rough EQ (bass, mids, highs), so you'll want to run through an external EQ if you really like to tweak it. It's got an effects loop, headphone out, and an RCA input. Good lows. Loud enough for jamming, but probably not for performing.

18. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    the 'Drive CD 100B Combo Bass Amp' is good and doesn't begin rattling or distorting unbtil around the 8-10 volume level. Has lo/mid/hi EQ, presence knob, phone jack and all frequencies are treated pretty equally. I can make my sound crystal clear or the god of thunder. Il ove teh way mine sounds. I just need to get some cabinets to increase my volume for live shows.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I use a peavey micro bass its cheap and it suits me down to the ground for practice. Probably not the best you could buy but not the worst either (same with all peavey amps really) The sound is good enough. It's got a really long power cable that can be wound around the back which is a plus.
    Naturally its very small and easy to transport.

Believe it or not I acutally used this whilst jamming with guitar and drums and it just about did the job. But none of us had any decent gear back then and I was very much driving it.

20. Peavey Minx 110, 35W. They can be had on eBay for $70-$80.