good small combo recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zinspace, Jul 25, 2001.

1. zinspace

Jul 24, 2001
    I am selling my Peavey TNT 115 because I don't play with a band anymore and it's more than I need. I'm looking for a smaller amp with a good array of features and a warm tone. I play a Fender P-Bass, and while I've always loved the sound of it through a tube amp (like an ampeg), it seems like nobody makes small tube "practice" amps - so I guess I will have to go solid state once again. The Fender Bassman 25 has all the features I want and seems like a decent deal, but I've read mixed reviews. I've heard better things about the bassman 60, which is about $100-$150 more (and it has an XLR out which I think is cool). And what about the ampeg combos? They are ss, but people seem to like them. Any advice would be appreciated. I would also consider buying something used if it's the ideal amp. Basically, I care more about tone than volume and I am a firm believer that one great tone is better than dials-full of "pretty good" sounds - hence the P-Bass.

Rock on!

2. Welcome to Talkbass!

Try out a Vox T-25 if you can find one. I found a dealer that's selling new ones for about $200.

The T-25 is 25 watts with a 10" speaker, but it seems a lot louder than 25 watts. I'm probably going to get one to replace my Crate BX-15 for use as a small portable amp. The Vox sounds a whole lot better, doesn't make tons of noise like my Crate, and it even weighs less than the Crate.

I've tried out a lot of the new Fender Bassmen in stores and they seem like fine amps to me.

The Ampeg BA-112 would also be one to look into. My main amp right now is a BA-115, which just has a higher wattage and larger speaker, and I think it's a great amp. It sounds very warm and it has a 5 position selector switch which is great for switching tones on the fly.
  3. I'm using a Fender Frontman 25B for practice and I'm quite pleased with it.

And just for the record, a solid state amp is what you want for a practice amp. You want to be able to turn the thing on and off all night long (whenever the mood to play hits you) without worrying about wearing out a bunch of expensive tubes.
  4. I'd reccomend the Fender Bassman 25, or 60. Ampeg 112. Also if you want I will sell you my Fender Frontman 15B, which is blown, and you can probably get a good CLEAN 7W out of it without distortion from the speaker. The controls and inputs are in good tact though...

I'd reccomend the Bassman, I use one, and they are great. the XLR lineout is a nice add-on.
  5. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    For what your looking for in sound, the Ampeg Bassamp series should work. I have the BA-112(50 watts, 12" speaker)and it produces a nice warm tone. The smallest one they make is the BA-110. To my ears these amps sounded better than anything else in the price range, but I still didn't hear the Fender Bassman stuff yet.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i agree what everyone has said already.

I use a 160watt 115 fender practice amp called an M-80 Bass. I'm surprised how loud it gets for 160watts (kicks a gk400rb's ass.) It has an incredibly warm sound. It has built in chorus, 3 band eq, effects loop, compressor, gain, two instrument inputs, two speaker inputs (max 4 ohlm load), a nice 115 speaker, but it doesn't come with casters. Mine has a custom-made (made by me), cat urine cover with scratch padding on it.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    ampeg b 100r
    or the little fender bassman 25
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Noooooo :eek: :p

Pignose B-100V All-tube, 100watt, 1x15" combo, ~$425.

Head only, ~$319, great through a 2x10 :)
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I KNEW you would find SOMETHING that had tubes for the poor guy to get:D
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You can always look for used tube combos, although they might lack in features (wasn't clear exactly what you needed there). I used a Traynor BassMate for many years (only amp I regret selling). 25 watts, 1-15", pretty small and very good tone. Used ones go for about $200.

Fender never made any good small tube combos (the Musicmaster Bass sucked), The Ampeg B-12 is nice but pricey (assume a B-15 is too big for you?) so you need to look into less well known (thus lower priced) brands: Supro, Premier, Traynor, etc.

Check, you can find some there.
  11. zinspace

Jul 24, 2001
    Thanks for all the advice so far. The point about being able to flick the ss amps on and off at frequently without waiting for the tubes to warm up was something I hadn't considered. I've never owned a tube amp - are they really a pain? I'm intrigued by the Pignose bass head. Anybody used one of those? How do they sound?

12. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Id also recomend an Ampeg BA-112 or 115.I have the 115 and it sounds great.I recently got a Sans Amp DI which goes beautifully with it.About as close to an all tube rigs sound as your likely to get with solid state.Good luck!
  13. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    NO. :p . Long as ya' got a good tech. OR...take it upon yourself
    to learn vacuum tube theory. Cop an old RCA Receiving Tube
    Manual. Lotta' good info. Websites, fer instance, like .
    PsychoBassGuy et. al. can recommend additional sources.
    I got the head only version for me-self last Xmas.
    I did a quickie review hyar ==> click .

D'ohh! Just remembered...there's also the Sovtek Mig50B -
    50 watt all-tube head. There was one for $200 on eBay recently
    along with a compatible Sovtek 1x15" cab, also $200.

If ya' got a boat-load o' moolah, Kendrick (i.e. Gerald Weber)
    "remembers" how to make the 2x10 100 watt all-tube combo
    the company carried a few years ago.
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    what about some of those ampeg b-15s, they may be loud for a practice amp, but they (IMO) are the best sounding amps around.