1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good small sized solid state head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J03YW, Sep 28, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Hey, I'm looking into one of those little guys that are around 200-250 watts just for workhorse use at smaller gigs. I'm digging the TC Electronic BH250 (I have the 250, very nice, just downsizing a bit) and the Gallien-Krueger MB200 (I dig their kinda growliness). I play everything under the sun, but in my free time I play metal/prog rock so I like my mids and highs, I've heard the GKs have a very clean, dry growl to them which appeals, cause I'd like a sparkling clean midrange cut to peek through a dense metal mix. I'd also like it to play nice with my Zoom B3's preset models and stuff, and an XLR out wouldn't hurt. Budget around the price of the BH250 and the MB200, so like $3-400.

2. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Btw size wise I'd like to be able to slip it in a bag.

3. Dense metal mix and small sized solid state head seems mutually exclusive but I would suggest checking into Genz Benz Neo-Pak, shuttle etc

4. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I'm not an expert on these - but the best mico amp I've heard is the Warwick.

5. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
  6. Genz-Benz Shuttle series. Feather-light and powerful, great sound.

7. MarkBass make very lightweight and powerful staff. Check their F1 amp, it's discontinued but you can find some used here for $430-450.

8. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    I'm actually digging the Little Mark 250 Blackline. Some of these other amps are too big & powerful. I just need a little guy for small gigs/direct XLR use.

9. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Jun 2, 2013
    the amp cant be too powerfull you can turn it down and the amp is limited by the cabinet. Because the amp has a 1000W doesnt mean it will push out a 1000W. It just means if the cab combination you have plugged into it needs 1000W it will be able to supply that. :)

That being said you can drive a cab to its limits and blow a speaker but not if you pay attention. you will hear the speaker distorting long before it reaches the breaking point

10. I have an mb200, nice bit of kit, it boogies with my 2x10 and 1x15 but not your usual metal loud. On the other hand, metal on small scale is frequently vocal PA so all you really need is to be as loud as the drummer.

11. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I've yet to be disappointed by my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 - wowza.

12. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    +1 Carvin BX250 and BX500!!!!!

13. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the F1 is the best sounding amp i've ever played. something about the way it was voiced was just perfect, with my rig and bass.

i compared it side by side with my SD800 (that i love, and still have) a little mark II, and a walter woods. the F1 sounded by the far the best.

and i still have never had one... bah.

t

14. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Shuttle 3.0 should be in your price range (300W @ 4-ohms, 175W @ 8-ohms). I've played it through several different cabs and takes only seconds to dial a great sound (usually just by turning on).

I played prog rock in a trio for years through a GK 400RB (which I'd also recommend, but it's bigger and heavier), so I think I understand the cut-through-the-mix sound you are mentioning.

15. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    The fender Rumble 350 head would be an excellent choice. Conservatively rated, a warm tone that is transparent enough to handle preamps/pedals nicely

16. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    +1

17. onegunguitar

onegunguitar

Jul 1, 2010
    Pick up a used Mesa WalkAbout....problem solved.:D

18. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010