Good smaller rig under $600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Mar 11, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, so it actually looks like a band project of mine is going to take off for once after trying with a few other originals, and I very seriously doubt my 50 watt Peavy 110 I've been practicing with is going to cut it :). Its a great practice amp..lots of kick for the size and wattage, but by no means good enough to gig.
    Some background-I need something that is going to work decent for small venues with a 4 piece band (guitar, drums, bass, keyboard, vocals). My whole band likes me to cut through a lot and do fills and solos (big bass fans- too bad I can't solo worth beans :p), and consequently, they are ok with lower volume levels. We are classifying ourselves as hard-groove-rock with influences such as blues traveler, cake, collective soul, Ben Harper, various 70's artists, and a dash of hard-rock, lol.

Right now I am looking at an Avatar 2x10 with a 200-400 watt ampeg or peavey head. I would probably add an Avatar 112 or 115 to this later if things started to take off and we got more than just the 50 or less attendence gigs. Do you think this would be an adequate setup? Any suggestions are welcome, but I really am trying to keep this under $600 cause I can't afford more until I get a job with more hours. I am fine with buying used gear as well.

2. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    harkte 3500 ~300 used

that's about as solid as a setup as you will find for 550. ive had my set up like that for about 3 months now and love it. great bright tone(but not too bright like some amps) with strong/natural mids that really cut through. the low end is a little lacking on my fifth string, but that's the only low point of this rig and could easily be remedied with a 1x15 sub on the bottom (which i plan to add once i get some funds).
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sounds like your in the same boat as me mondo. I'm guessin the Hartke 3500 is a 350 watt amp?