Good Smooth Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Uforia, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Looking for the best strings for me. I am looking for some strings for a 5 string bass that are smooth and easy on the fingers. But I also want them to be durable and have good sound. Anyone have any suggestions.
  2. You other half probally could have predicted this from me so . . . Ken Smith Compressors.
  3. Sound like what your asking for is exactly the description for Elixir Strings. Try a set.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    T/I JF345 (Jazz Flats, 5-string set). Some of the G/C's in the area
    are carryin' T/I :eek:. L. Morgan's or Speir's over in Garland might have
    `em too, but I'm afraid to go there without "backup" :p.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Can't get much smoother than flatwounds! :D
  8. Awe, if we had thought we were in the area the past weekend. After we were already over there Jeff said we should have had you meet us over there.
    I had a really bad case of G.A.S.
    So I made Jeff Drag me to several music stores to look at and check out basses.:D
  9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I followed everyone elses advice when i wanted smooth strings,and i got flatwounds.Flatwounds are very smooth indeed,but kind of sticky,its hard to explain,but its very hard to move your fingers around.
  10. I played a bass the other day at a music store that had a set of flat wound on it. I like how smooth they where. But they were kind of hard to move up around on them. I would have to play them more than I did at the music store to really get tthe feel of them.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If youre after a set of roundwounds, give D'Addario Slowounds a try.:cool:
  12. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Nose bridge and/or behind-the-ear grease, or KFC (original recipe ;) ).

13. Yep, I'd go with the Slowounds too.
  14. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I just took a set of Slowounds off my Carvin LB75. I didn't care for the tone at all.

Just before I sold my fretless 5 a year ago, I put some half-round strings on it; D'Addario Half-Rounds perhaps? I don't remember exactly. They really transformed the bass. Rounds never sounded good, but the half-rounds worked really well. They weren't totally smooth because they were roundwounds that had been ground flat, but they definitely had a nice mellow tone to them.
  15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a set of Labella tapewounds on my fretless five that have been on about a year, and still sound great.