1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Smooth Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Uforia, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Looking for the best strings for me. I am looking for some strings for a 5 string bass that are smooth and easy on the fingers. But I also want them to be durable and have good sound. Anyone have any suggestions.

2. You other half probally could have predicted this from me so . . . Ken Smith Compressors.

3. Sound like what your asking for is exactly the description for Elixir Strings. Try a set.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    GHS Pressurewound.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I second Donne.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    T/I JF345 (Jazz Flats, 5-string set). Some of the G/C's in the area
    are carryin' T/I :eek:. L. Morgan's or Speir's over in Garland might have
    `em too, but I'm afraid to go there without "backup" :p.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Can't get much smoother than flatwounds! :D

8. Awe, if we had thought we were in the area the past weekend. After we were already over there Jeff said we should have had you meet us over there.
    I had a really bad case of G.A.S.
    So I made Jeff Drag me to several music stores to look at and check out basses.:D

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I followed everyone elses advice when i wanted smooth strings,and i got flatwounds.Flatwounds are very smooth indeed,but kind of sticky,its hard to explain,but its very hard to move your fingers around.

10. I played a bass the other day at a music store that had a set of flat wound on it. I like how smooth they where. But they were kind of hard to move up around on them. I would have to play them more than I did at the music store to really get tthe feel of them.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    If youre after a set of roundwounds, give D'Addario Slowounds a try.:cool:

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Nose bridge and/or behind-the-ear grease, or KFC (original recipe ;) ).

:D

13. Yep, I'd go with the Slowounds too.

14. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I just took a set of Slowounds off my Carvin LB75. I didn't care for the tone at all.

Just before I sold my fretless 5 a year ago, I put some half-round strings on it; D'Addario Half-Rounds perhaps? I don't remember exactly. They really transformed the bass. Rounds never sounded good, but the half-rounds worked really well. They weren't totally smooth because they were roundwounds that had been ground flat, but they definitely had a nice mellow tone to them.

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I have a set of LaBella tapewounds on my fretless five that have been on about a year, and still sound great.