good solid jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpbassics, Apr 30, 2002.

1. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    hey all,

i'm currently in the research phase for a jazz bass. not necessarily a fender jazz, but i'm looking for a bass that would play nicely with a jazz combo. any suggestions of one that you prefer. should i go fretless for this venture or stay fretted?

Any info at all would be appreciated. I'm just testing the water.

Oh btw i'm looking around the 700 range

2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    for 700 you could get a nice used MIA Jazz, or maybe a Geddy Lee...

3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You could get both a fretted and fretless MIM jazz bass. I've always found a 5 string is good for jazz just to kind of throw in the open b while changing hand postions like James Jamerson use to do with the open E.

Just a thought.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If I read correctly, lpbassics is asking for advice on a bass for playing jazz, not a Jazz Bass™. Now to be counter-productive I'll state that I think a Fender Jazz Bass is a good instrument for playing jazz music. How's that for controversial! :)
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Not many decent double basses can be had for $700. A decent double bass would probably cost around $4,000... You can get them for about 1K... but I've never found the tone of these basses pleasing..

That said.. A fender Jazz bass would do you nicely IMO. MIM or MIA. I know a jazz bass prof that plays on a Ibanez BTB...
  6. SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    I think I've seen a Carlo Robelli Upright Bass for $699... but as ldiezman said, it probably wouldn't be that great sounding... but I am actually thinking of getting one later in the future just to practice on and learn on because I've been in the mood lately to learn upright lately. So although it is probably not the best upright, it's one of the cheapest new ones out there I think.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This does not surprise me. Those crazy Czechs have been making top quality string instruments for hundreds of years and their current stuff is most excellent.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    A MIA Fender Jazz bass is a great sounding bass for Jazz groups. You could probably find a really good used one for around $700. Jazz basses have a sound that sits really well in a group. They are articulate, and warm sounding with a great solo voice. You can find them in both Maple and Rosewood fingerboards. I find maple to be a bit brighter and articulate, while rosewood is warmer with a softer attack. Good luck!:)
  9. I play a MIM Jazz bass. I play in a jazz band at my university, and in jazz combos. it's great. no complaints. you can get all the sounds you'd ever want out of it. play before you buy, as some aren't as good as others.
  10. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    yes i was pondering a double bass... but as it was mentioned their quite expensive, but i was going to borrow a friends for a while.

at any rate yes i was just looking for suggestions about good basses for jazz (i need a work horse!), not necessarily a fender jazz bass, but if thats what you prefer put it down anyway.

i've got a spector that i can use for a bit, but it doesn't get a very jazzy sound, more for my rock band:D

but thx for the replies! i'm looking into DB.
    would that be a though change? BG to DB?
    (i practice lots so i'm guessing i can handle it)

btw: if needed....
    i could prolly scrape up $1000, but only if its worth it! i'm already "scraping up" the $700. now that i mention it... i always seem to be "scraping" when it comes to bass. Must be the GAS.