1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good solo bass songs to practice singing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jdjk7, Sep 8, 2016.

1. I've recently committed to learning to sing and sing while playing. What I've figured out is that for learning songs, what works well for my style and for my method of learning is playing songs that are played with only bass accompaniment, or with mainly bass accompaniment.

A great example of what I mean would be Kurt Elling's rendition of "Lonely Avenue", which is arranged in only vocals, bass, backup vox, and finger-snapping for percussion. It's relatively simple to adapt to a solo form, and would give me something "complete" to practice, rather than just playing over a bassline which sounds empty without the upper harmony or drum percussion.

I know that some songs can be adapted well to solo bass, but I don't want to go through that work just yet. I just want to learn to sing.

The meat of my question, then, is if anyone else knows other songs which sound "complete" with just vocals, bass, and basic percussion (feet, tambourine-stomping, etc.) Jazz, soul, or blues are preferable, as I play those genres often, but I'm open to expansion.

(I'm not exactly sure what forum this belongs in, as it's not a request for tabs or strictly a technique discussion... sorry if I have misplaced it.)

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    "Use Me Up" Bill Withers.

RichardW likes this.
  3. ...I really should've thought of that one, considering I've learned both of them for the same upcoming gig.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA

Calebmundy likes this.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I used to do "Over The Rainbow" pretty often at open mikes. I found a bunch of different charts to facilitate varying harmonization and then learned the head on bass so I could do unison lines or even reverse roles and sing harmony under bass playing the melody.

6. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    Come Together by the Beatles is a great song to multitask on.

RichardW and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey

8. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Walking on the moon by the Police is a good one, nice simple repetitive bass line

Groove Doctor, SirMjac28 and Jloch86 like this.
  9. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey

Garagiste likes this.
  10. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    And let me be the first to offer the obvious:

bassestkkm, Remyd and SteveCS like this.
  11. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey

12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel...

Calebmundy likes this.
  13. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    Moon over Bourbon Street.

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Early Police and Early Beatles got me started and when you get really advanced you can try and tackle Geddy.

bassestkkm likes this.
  15. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    Moondance - Van Morrison

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  16. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I can sing harmony parts while playing bass, but singing lead takes a LOT of concentration.

T. Michael Coleman used to do a funny bass song just to make the point... can't find it though.

17. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Great suggestions! I'm in the same boat and need to get better at singing and playing right away.

18. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Stormy Weather

19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Money by Pink Floyd is a great tune to practice playing and singing. There's that long instrumental section in the middle, but the the bass carries the song on the verses.

Arion likes this.
  20. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Could be because it probably wasn't T. Michael Coleman. See post #10...