Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good solo to impress friends with

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ace123, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hey everyone. I need suggestions for a good solo(s) to play when my friends tell me "hey, play us a solo." Now, i'd like something that involves some slap, because come on that's "cool". But not something too hard like classical thump (its too fast for me at my ability right now). Just maybe a cool lick or an actual solo that will make people somewhat amazed. I already know the basics like higher ground, the intro to sinister minister, etc. Its ok if the song isn't incredibly easy, something that i will have to work on but not something which is real hard.

ANy ideas are welcome, and it would be appreciated if there was a tab (i know, but i'm not skilled enough to teach myself slap songs). The music I listen to is classic rock and jam bands, but i'll play anything if it sounds cool.
    Thanks a lot!

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Uh oh...someone asking for an impressive slap solo, written out in tab, to impress friends. I know where this is is going...

3. Haha.... Here's one for you. Very challenging.

--------
    --------
    --------
    --------

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Try the bass solo in Dream Theater's "Dance of Etetnity" or "The Ytse Jam" That should get you started... now have fun practising!

5. Dude, that's the tab for "When Doves Cry"! Get it right, okay?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What? I thought that was Poisons "Unskinny Bop."

?!

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Bra, you are in it for the wrong reasons entirely. Go home.

8. Wow! I thought that was for some White Stripes song :meh:

9. Funky shoots, Funky scores!

10. I'd rather impress my friends with a good, solid groove and tasty melodic fills.

Slap... Pfff! Good if you're Marcus Miller!

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Ace.

Why do you want to impress your friends? Do your friends impress you with anything? What are you trying to achieve?

12. The solo for Tommy The Cat. Or the bassline for that matter.

13. Whenever I play that for a friend, they're usually pretty impressed. It's like a wonderful flurry of notes, sooo much fun to play.

It's an awesome bassline, I built up a lot of speed from playing that song 18 trillian times a day. :D

14. a lot of my friends get really impressed when I play Potrait of Tracy are Amerika.......these aren't my bass playing friends, so basically anything I do impresses them :D :D

but with my bass playing friends, I just improv...

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    *dodges vast amounts of piss from messy contestants*

16. "How to impress your friends with your bass"

Step 1 : Find a wild animal. Prefably a wolf or something.

Step 2 : Unleash it's hellish fury on your friends.

Step 3 : Beat the snot out of the wolf attacking your friends with your bass.

After this indulge in a nice warm blood bath of wolf blood :)

Seriously, if you need to impress your friends what don't play intruments then play anything. Fingerstyle ! If you NEED to impress them, they aren't worth your time.

17. Whats Fooly Cooly :) ?

18. I'm into anime. Is it something I should check out ?

19. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Speaking of Fooly Cooly, What happens in episode 6 that had to be edited? it can't be that bad since we see that strange girls with a rickenbacker's a$$.

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    What time does come on?