Good song to show off with

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Supernova67, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    I havnt been playin bass very long (bout a year) and i was wondering what a good song to show off with is. preferably something that sounds good without the guitar and drums in the background, just so i can kinda impress my friends when they come over. o and i have a 5 string if it's a fiver song
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would just learn something you and your friends like that has a cool bassline, something recognizable to everyone.

Just a FWIW, you may catch a lot of flack for this thread. Ego being what it is and all.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Sir Duke By Stevie Wonder! Now go practice and come back when you can play it fowards and backwards! :D
  4. snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Try some of these Led Zeppelin songs.

Ramble On
    What Is And What Will Never Be
    Moby Dick

Not hard songs to learn, could probably find the tabs for them, and pretty recognizable. You don't say what kind of music you play.

If you're thinking more difficult, buy a Bach for Bass book and it comes with a CD, or you could try School Days by Stanley Clarke.
  5. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    If you're a hardrock fan, try "My Generation" by the Who. People love that solo. Or if you're up for a bigger challenge "Maxwell Murder" by Rancid if you're a punk guy.
  6. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    just about any Racer-X bassline/solo
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Throw on some distortion and smash your bass against the wall.
  8. Learn funk standards such as Brick House and Fantastic Voyage!

and Rush tunes like the intro to The Trees.
  9. To impress people, learn chili peppers lines, even though I hate how over played they are.

10. The bass line to "throw away your television" sounds like someone taking a ****.
  11. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin...
  12. +1 ! But play a speedmetal version of "Twinkle, twinkle little star" first, whilst jumping around like a bunny on speed. :bassist:
  13. :bassist: Tommy the Cat-Primus. Works every time. :bassist:
  14. Lol, remember that I learned the seinfeld intro when I was there. (Even though it's not really a bass.)
    That will impress your friends.