Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good songs for a new young band.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pirata, Jun 22, 2000.

1. pirata

pirata

Jun 21, 2000
    I've been playing for short time and I've recently started a band with a couple friends. I was wondering what you guys think are the best songs for my new band. I'm the most experienced musician in the band (one guitar, one bass, and a drummer). I want some songs with a simple guitar part with a kicking bass line. Any help y'all can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Beatles songs. Definitely.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

3. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Well, what kinda music do ya like?

You may very well have the easiet job ahead of you. Being a beginning guitarist is pretty tough....so you may have to stick to metal tunes that the guitarist can use power chords on.

That's quick to benefit and easy stuff. You know, Green Day, Ramones, Scorpions, etc...

I haven't played that stuff in years!

4. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Try 'YYZ' by 'Rush' off of 'Moving Pictures' Simple trio, simple song...kidding, of course!!!!

------------------
    Hey....Who said Ric's are for kids?.....Bye, --MR

5. Otherside - Red hot chilli peppers.

i'm in the same predicament as you; new band etc. this has a great bass line and it's pretty simple.

------------------
    sitting on a castle, on the floor with Ezmeralda, waiting for the geezer, captain crunch to come around. felling suicidal 'cos of certain situations, hanging from the stairs too long, i think i'm coming down....it's time to CRASH!!!

6. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Come As You Are by Nirvana.

It's got everything he asked for. Easy guitar, cool bass and all said and done, it's a cool song!

You could also try My Generation by The Who. It's quite easy.

~Loxley~ [​IMG]

------------------
    Never trust a man who doesn't drink - Winston Churchill

7. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Yeah, Nirvana songs are cool and easy to play. And I recommend you to plaay some of The Offspring songs.. Or Greenday...

8. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    around the world by rhcp or another one bites the dust by queen green day nice guys finish last and long view and reel big fish stuff

------------------
    dont got no band dont got no job just your average bass playin slob

9. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    Around the world? I wish I could tell if you were joking, but did he not say he was beggining? I've been playing for almost a uear now and i'm just barely getting the hang of it, and it still sounds like crap.

I myself would have reccomended some Rage Against the Machine, but that's probably because I reccomend rage for everything. Some of that would KILL your beggining guitarist.

------------------
    High Lord Peatroosio has spoken.

10. Wild Thing by The Trogs. At least that's what we played in my first band.

------------------
    Ciao
    Mike

11. Bassmonster

Bassmonster

Mar 24, 2000
    Nirvana is full of songs. Enter Sandman is fun. You have a new drummer, so you might have to skip the solo, but In-a-Gada-Vida is very simple and really simple. "Frankenstein" by the ED Winters group is also a blast, but you might be disappointed if you're looking for a challenge.
    Speaking of the 'Peppers, the new single "Californication" sounds like a blast to play.
    If you're a punk, try some Rancid, or some Goldfinger.

------------------
    I'm the Bassmonster....ROWWAAARRRR!!!!

12. Truth2BeLies

Truth2BeLies

Mar 18, 2000
    Rochester,NY
    Check out Incubus or the Deftones

13. mljohn

mljohn

Jul 16, 2000
    AC/DC...anything
    Nirvana...anything
    Metallica...For Whom The Bell Tolls
    AIC...Man In The Box,Angry Chair,Would
    Kinks...Lola(old favorite)

[This message has been edited by mljohn (edited July 30, 2000).]

14. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Nirvana "In Bloom" is easy to sing and play. Santa Monica from Everclear is cool. Lit "My Own Worst Enemy" and "miserable" are as easy as f#$k. "All Mixed Up" and "Down" from 311 are easy. Blur "track #2." Most Sugar ray is easy. "Mud Shovel" from Staind, just gotta detune or use the b string. And "Do Right" from Jimmie's Chicken shack. "Drive" from Incubus is simple. And of course your bass solo would have to be the Stu Ham theme for "Peanuts" (I wish I could play that:(

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm only 14 but have been playing since i was 10 heres what i think.......I agree with Peatroosio [sorry if messed up on spelling].....Guerilla Radio is a nice song.....as you get better you can alter it with solos & mods.....the intro can be altered....my band is using it with no effects....another I'd recommend is SouthTown by POD....the lines are fairly easy.......if u need the tabs for any of these email me.......Sic by Slipknot....that one uses drop D though.....Adams Song-Blink 182...just leave out the piano/syth parts....Go with Around the world IF u want a song that'll get u better up on the neck but is hard to get it to sound right I've been playing for 3-4 yrs & have been working on that for about 6months & just now beginning to get it to sound anything like Flea.....i know u probably won't use this BUT Ode to Joy is a nice practice song...oh yeah Originals are always nice....remember to have fun & don't stand to close to cymbals of your drummer...bad experience i couldn't hear for an hour.....that's all

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey...FenderJazzCam...whats...with...all...the...dottage? I...really...dont...think...its...necessary...maybe...you...should...just...use...a...period...like...the...rest...of...us. And i dont think Around the World would be a good song for someone whos just starting to play with people. Its hard enough for a lot of people (i can play it just fine after learning it, but i gots me more experience than most [​IMG] ) to play by themselves, but to try to get the rhythm correct while going at that speed, minding the other band members? No, not a good song...at all. About the only MORE inappropriate song by them would be Blackeyed Blonde!

To whoever said Mudshovel...you dont need to detune at all. The intro is A, C, E (13 of each, which the correct rhythm of 1-2,1-2,1-2,1-2-3-4-5-6-7, in simple counting terms), and then F, G, E (it uses those notes, anyway), and then G, E, B, E, F, E (if i remember right). No detuning.

As for good songs for a beginning group...I second whoever said "Down" by 311...thats a great song. Almost anything by Nirvana is appropriate. Theres a bunch more, but im to lazy to mention it.

------------------
    "Watch out, im gonna throw another duck at you!"

~Prez. Biski

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MegaAngus:
    Hey...FenderJazzCam...whats...with...all...the...dottage?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mega force of habit.I use it alot on AOL.that's all

18. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving

Mar 7, 2009
    Im only thirteen but ive been playing guitar since i was 7. Im in a band called hows my driving and we played:

i love rock n roll by joan jett -really easy
    blitzkrieg bop by the ramones- pretty easy
    fight for your right to party by the beastie boys
    and we will rock you but the solo is a little bit hard for beginners.

19. try Slither by Velvet Revolver, cool sounding song and pretty easy to learn

20. For what you describe, you can't go wrong with:

The Who
    The Clash
    The Beatles
    The Ramones

and...

Black Sabbath

Go watch some live stuff on youtube - pick a few songs you like, and go to town.