1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good songs to copy if you want to play FAST

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rascool, Oct 1, 2009.

1. rascool

rascool

Mar 1, 2008
    Well, taking the bull by the horns and finally grappling the speed issue, so currently looking for some good speed bass songs to copy to get me going.

Have heard there's some pretty classy playing to be found in the modern rock scene (I grew up in the 80's, so you'll have to bear with me if you find my ideas of rock keep coming back to bands like Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Kiss, Bon Jovi, AC DC).

As a starting point, have heard Robert Trujello of Metallica is a bit of a class act (it was Jason Newsted in my day....:p)

2. lordnyra

lordnyra

May 3, 2007
    yyz

3. ilovemysr505

ilovemysr505

Sep 30, 2009
    i think there are some good, fast bass slapping you can practice with bill dickens. fingering like billy sheehan, john myung,john entwistle or maybe a combination of both from victor wooten :O. well its just my opinion though XD

4. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    I got fast by playing old Metallica(Master of Puppets,Battery,Blackened), starting slow and working towards playing it with the song. For that old rock stuff you can do Sabbath(Paranoid, Children of the Grave) and work your way up top the faster stuff.

5. basscheez

basscheez

Nov 6, 2008
    Cleveland, Oh
    Almost anything by Iron Maiden

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Beat me to it. Harris' right hand is hard to hang with.

7. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    between the buried and me.....the bassist has 2 tab books out. fast metal, but more jazz than metal, Dan Briggs went to school for jazz composition.

8. rascool

rascool

Mar 1, 2008
    Thanks all. Watching that Dan Briggs guy just now...

9. Vamposaur

Vamposaur

Jun 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    +1 on Dan Briggs

10. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    A little OT, but...more jazz than metal? I love when people say that about so-called "jazz-metal bands". It's so utterly not true. Complicated metal does not jazz make, although there are plenty of hard-fusion acts that one might be tempted to classify "jazz-metal". You want jazz-metal? Behold...Jerseyband. This is the closest that anybody could claim to call "jazz-metal," played by Eastman graduates. The drummer is the drummer for Kurt Rosenwinkle, for example. .

Anyway.......try Cherokee at 400 bpm if you want FAST.

11. Professor Jones

Professor Jones

Sep 22, 2009
    Speed Demon by MJ (the chorus part). Good luck !

Or you might wanna try that one :

12. isorokko

isorokko

Apr 6, 2009
    Turku, Finland

13. i don't know if it is jazz/metal but jon zorn naked city comes to mind

14. mizmor

mizmor

May 9, 2008
    NJ
    They rule!

15. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    I know they are from different school but some of the band based on soul music also have the good tunes to work out - I wouldn't say it's as fast as most of the tunes that people mentioned above but still good to work on some left hand muting and some off beat lines with ghost notes - like TOP, James Brown, Incognito and etc.

16. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    that was awful...

just sayin.

17. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    any song, by any band just turn the BPM up on the metronome.

18. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Another vote for Iron Maiden. Harris' lines are always quick, but usually memorable and easy to learn. Number of the Beast and The Trooper are some classics.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Jack the Ripper - Link Wray - all 16th notes. It's not difficult to play, so it's good training to gain fast right hand fingers...and it's totally kick-ass.

L.A. Woman - the Doors - there are sections I find nearly impossible and have to drop some notes

20. Giant Steps - John Coltrane