Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Songs to learn for beginners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by New2Bass, Aug 28, 2002.

1. New2Bass

New2Bass Guest

Aug 28, 2002
    California
    Hey everyone, I just started the Bass Guitar about 2 months ago. As of know I know how to play Green Day - Longview and Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Californication. I have an excellent teacher who lets me choose the songs in which i want to learn.I was wondering, do any of you know any songs that someone new to bass should learn to help them later on. I appreciate your responses...thank you

-Mak-

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Lowrider" by War
    "When The World Is Running Down" by The Police
    "Blood And Roses" by the Smithereens
    And, don't laugh, "Talking In Your Sleep" by the Romantics. I learned how to play the last one about 4 days after I'd started. It really is a fun song to play along to. Welcome to the lowend!

3. veniceking

veniceking

Aug 17, 2002
    Australia
    can i say first, playing logview and californication is pretty good for a guy playin bass for 2months, keep it up.......try these songs
    limp bizkit- "rearranged"
    red hot chili peppers- "under the bridge"
    green day- "when i come around"
    unwritten law- "cailin" and "up all night

they should keep you busy....dont try blink 182...borin as bat ****...you're probly better than the blink bassist

4. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    rhcp road trippin

and ratm bombtrack, it takes a wee while but you feel great when you can do it!!!

5. I'd suggest a slow blues number.

12 bars and their ilk are really the foundation of rock music so it's well worth getting to know that stuff. Also, they tend to have reasonably simple bass lines so are great for beginners (and me:D )

Why not take a listen to the Jimi Hendrix number, Red House? The bass is not complicated and it's IMHO a superb, slow song.

Of course, any Status Quo CD will have loads of 12 bars and some are really good, fun, upbeat numbers.

Legendary blues man, BB King, turns out some great stuff. Rod Stewart's done some great 12 bar type stuff. Try the Jeff Beck number, Rock my Plymsoul. That's slightly more difficult but worth a look.

I guess it depends on what you're into. My era is 60s / 70s and much of that stuff is becoming popular again these days.

Although it's not my bag, many of the old soul / Mowtown stuff has some fabulous bass lines. Superb groove, IMHO. Try the classic, Mustang Sally for a great feel between the drummer / bassist interplay.

All the best with the playing.

John

6. "Lyin' Eyes," by The Eagles. It doesn't get any easier than that.

All kidding aside, then after you're playing for a few more months, try to figure out, "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring," by J.S. Bach. It's not quite as difficult as it sounds, and it will put your knowledge of scales to good use. Classical music will help you understand all other genres, IMHO. Even if you don't try to play it, it's soothing to listen to.

Check it out: http://www.bachcentral.com/cantatas/2cantata147.html

Mike J.

7. Never thought of classical.

Bach's Air on the G string I like very much and the notation is available on the web if you're into that side of things (like I ought to be :eek: )

John

8. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    While this song is increadibly easy (with out the bass runs) Bro Hymn by pennywise is perfect for those learning to fuse drums and bass together...it worked for me anyway

-cap

9. Try some classics :)

Daytripper and Birthday by the Beatles
    Seasons of Wither by Aerosmith
    The Ocean by Led Zep
    Muscle of Love by Alice Cooper (great bass line)

Shine by Collective Soul is a fun one to play.
    Plush by STP is a great tune, and the bass line's not too difficult.