1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good songs to learn on a beginner-intermediate level?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Arion, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    Some suggestions of songs with a good bass part (not necessarily a recurring riff), I don't know what to learn next. Merry Christmas!

47th Street likes this.
  2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    What do you already know?

Money by Pink Floyd is my suggestion.

3. PunkNerve

PunkNerve Fender Guitar and Bass Historian

Apr 24, 2016
    Ireland
    When I Come Around - Green Day

One of their harder songs, but still easy once you get it down. it's mostly on the 5th to 7th frets on A♭-G♭.

Arion and 47th Street like this.
  4. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Christmas Time is Here
    ‎Vince Guaraldi‎

Since it's Christmas Time...

47th Street likes this.
  5. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    I know that song.
    I know almost of Radiohead and Coldplay tunes, some U2, RHCP, The Chicken, Good Times, all those must-know tunes for beginners.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    47th Street likes this.
  6. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    How about some Motown songs?

47th Street likes this.
  7. PunkNerve

PunkNerve Fender Guitar and Bass Historian

Apr 24, 2016
    Ireland
    Also try Fall Back Down - Rancid.

8. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Wow - pretty advanced song for the 1st song to learn.

9. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    getouttatown! You got that!
    You just need to listen to it 40 or 60 or 80 times.
    It's the most natural line you'll ever wrap your hands around. :thumbsup:

"Under My Wheels"...Alice Cooper...Killer

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Uh.....I'm not a huge Jaco or Flea fan but....if you "know" The Chicken and a lot of RHCP you are not a beginner. If you have simply learned the hook riff in these songs you don't "know" them. Which is it?

11. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    The hook riff of the Chicken is what I know, so I don't know the song. Good Times is the same riff the entire song. Full songs of RHCP I know are Dani California, By the Way (played this with a pick), Don't Forget Me, Otherside, Scar Tissue, Under The Bridge, Give It Away... I know that I won't be a beginner if I know RHCP's catalogue, but I'm not quite that good. I've been playing guitar for 3 years, and the fretboard is the same, so I don't need to invest time on the theoritical side of things - I need to improve technically at this moment. I know a lot of Radiohead and it wasn't hard at all. I need to work on my right hand a lot. I also have listened to some Queen songs, and their lines are with so many different melodies. And kinda tough IMO (Apart from Another One Bites The Dust of course.)
    I asked for suggestions since I don't want to be that guy who only listens to Artist X, Arist Y and Artist Z.

12. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    Not now.

13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Cool. Got it. Any Led Zeppelin will be a school in rock bass. By "Good Times" do you mean "Good Times Bad Times" by them? If so, again, go back and learn that. It is not the same all the way through. Lemon Song will give you more homework than you want.

But here's the thing. Being a bass player is about playing songs. Don't stop with the hook riff if ANY song. Learn the song. It will not only work your right hand and teach you some runs, but it will also teach you how to get along with the drums and provide a platform for melodic instrument and vocals.

Sorry if it seemed like I was giving you a lecture earlier. You threw me off with the whole beginner who know The Chicken thing.
    :D

LeeNunn likes this.
  14. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    money pink floyd

15. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    There's a complete SN transcription of The Lemon Song in the Tabulature and Notation forum. That might be my favorite Led Zeppelin song.

16. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    Sour Girl - STP

17. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    I was prepared for something like this though XD. I knew someone ought to ask this. And no, I mean Good Times by Chic. Not much of a Zep fan.
    One thing I've noticed that I'm very analytical when it comes to listening songs (unless I'm gloomy or have some mood swings). Something like "this riff is in 7/8" "this riff is ascending major pentatonics" "the kick drum and the bass guitar play in unison (not musical though)" etc. Getting along with the drums comes naturally to me.
    Haven't listened to much before the '80s, I mostly listen to stuff in '90s and later. Assuming that the majority of forum members grew up listening to songs from '60s-'80s, I can get something different.

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, unfortunately the 80s is full of plowing away on root 8th notes with some notable exceptions.

Try some Duran Duran.

19. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Anything off Led Zeppelin II is great.