1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good songs to learn on a fretless

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Espresto, Aug 19, 2012.

1. I got my first fretless bass a few weeks ago, and have only just gotten my amplifier working again so I can practice. I've already started playing the fretless in bands, and haven't had too much trouble with that because there are always tempered instruments to reference while I play.

Are there any good songs (other than Jaco Pastorius) to learn on the fretless bass that I can play along with recordings?

2. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Hey You

Impermanence likes this.
  3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    If you want to start with some fairly simple rock / blues songs, I'd recommend Pearl Jam, Cream, and Bad Company.

4. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    "In My Time of Dying" by Led Zeppelin. JPJ tears that fretless up!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why don't you just practice your usual repertoire on the fretless? Ideally, you should be able to play your parts on both types of basses...

For new repertoire, check out Sting's basslines with The Police. Some of those lines were actually played on a fretless.

6. As well as other songs listed above, I believe Rod Stewart's early '70's hit "Maggie May" is played by Ron Wood; later of Rolling Stones, was played on fretless Bass.

You can play early Cat Stephens tunes; some of which were played on Upright Bass; therefore fretless.

Try early Beatles. Although not fretless, would be a great learning skill, as McCartney is so melodic/ inventive.

I don't hear any fretless "Muahh", but I believe Lee Sklar used fretless on James taylor's early 70's release: "Mudslide Slim". ....If not?....A great album to play and lern from regardless.

I learned more by copping Lee Sklar's lines on Mudslide Slim which are more applicable in so many situations, than by learning Chris Squire's licks on first 4 YES albums.

Sklar inadvertantly taught me how to employ scales; playing more melodically. Helps in 3 piece bands where bass may need to fill space without sounding redundant.

7. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    How about "Jaco" by The Pat Metheny Group. Mark Egan plays a real nice solo that's fairly easy to figure out.

It's on the white album released around 1978 called "The Pat Metheny Group".. Great album. One of my top 10 of all time.

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN