Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Songs to Play when trying out a new bass to buy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Jul 5, 2005.

1. im going to test out some Fender P basses and Jazz,what are some good songs to test out on the basses to help me to decide

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The Chili Peppers cover of Higher Ground. Guitar store owners love to hear bassist play that all day. ;)

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I would have to agree. Higher Ground is a good tune to test an instrument too.

Ask the tech-person if the strings are old or new. It can make a big difference when trying to understand the type of bass you are looking for. You may want to take along a spare set of new strings.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Ramble On by Led Zeppelin. Covers most of the frequency range, and slow and fast parts, as well. Plus, it sounds cool!

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Outside of tunes to try.......

Never buy a bass until I heard it on your own gear. Ask if you can try before you buy.

Hope this helps,

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This wouldn't have occurred to me, but yes, John Paul Jones plays a sweet line on that tune and I find myself playing it often.

7. I play three songs always:

Tool- 46 & 2 for the higher frequencies.
    Marcus miller- Rio Funk for the slapability
    Metallica- King Nothing- Lower frequencies (could also be replaced with Megadeath- Angry again or Iron Maiden- fear of the dark for all round coolness.)

Most of these people in the store will like also, exept the Megadeath one :)

8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Only one! MONEY by Pink Floyd...Holy diver if the metal heads are hanging around :D

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1

I always use "Ramble On"! The verse part gives you a good idea of how the bass plays up high, found many a dead spots and high frets with that, and the pre-chorus gives you down low and the chorus lets you grind it out!

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Moved to Misc.

11. Scales are your friends. They don't sound flashy, but they give you a good feel of how the bass plays. As for songs I play, frequent ones include...

Man who sold the world
    Around the World
    Money

I also like to throw in some walking Jazz basslines and some 12 bar blues walks.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The best songs to play are the ones that you know. I mean, what's the point of testing a bass you never played by trying to play songs you don't know? It's a bit like playing golf with a hockey stick and a blindfold, don't you think?

Play what you always play. If it sounds better than on your old bass, it's better. ;)

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I really like to get a good feel for the bass so I categorize my songs (nerdy, yes?)

All-Around Feel:
    Major/Minor/Chromatic scales

Fingerstyle:
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
    Tool - Forty-Six & 2 (yes, I realize it's supposed to be played with a pick)
    Primus - Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

Tapping:
    Moonlight Sonata
    Nuclear Rabbit - Truth's Ugly Head
    + some hammer-on tapping

Slapping:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane
    Fractured - Cure For The Common Soul (my band)

Pickstyle:
    Megadeth - Peace Sells
    Metallica - My Friend of Misery
    Green Day - Longview
    + some chords

Along with playing several of my band's songs and some improvising, this list usually gives me a good idea of how the bass sounds and feels.

Graeme :bassist:

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I play blues and swing scales. It's just my thing :)

Guitar shop employees love to hear Smoke on the Water too! :smug:

15. Fingerstyle, I just improv a lot. Try it out, whether it's bluesy, jazzy, or just a simple rock line. Slapping, I just slap a few octaves and double thump a little. If I'm really feeling it, Power from Marcus Miller is an awesome song to slap to. Pickstyle, it's gotta be Roundabout!

16. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I like playing My Friend of Misery (Fingerstyle tho, since I dont really ever play with a pick), Ramble On, some Sly and the Family Stone, and Pigs (Three Different Ones) by Floyd

edit: Can't forget Money...stupid me