Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good songs to try and tab out?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by muthagoose, Jun 12, 2004.

1. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm looking for some good songs to to try and tab out to exercise my ear, but I can't seem to find any good songs to try and tab out. I'm not that great at tabbing so I'm looking for songs where the bass is quite easily heard, and preferably where it isn't all root notes. I've been giving Jimi Hendrix a shot but I've found that most of the songs are maybe a bit too difficult for me. Anyways, all suggestions are welcome!

2. I did a very similar thread in the recordings forum. Didn't get a big response but the kind people that did respond suggested AC/DC, early Beatles and Curtis Mayfield (who I admit I've never heard of).

3. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks a bunch radiohe... I mean romac :p I'll think I'll give the Beatles a shot!

4. No problem

Let me know how you do since I'm in a very similar posisition to you at the moment and I too dream of being a session bassist!

5. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah, I've noticed we are focusing on practicing the same things :)

I've gotten the impression from your posts that you're quite good at sightreading after practicing it for some time now. I've bought the book the essential sight studies for the electric bass and I think my sightreading is getting better but I'm looking for some more stuff to play. I would be very thankful if you could recommend me any sites with notation!

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Moved to TAB forum.

7. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Judas Priest Tabs would be greatly appreciated :)

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
  9. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
  10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
  11. ~Psychedelic~

~Psychedelic~

Nov 23, 2003
    California
    If your looking for some easy Hendrix songs try out "Hey Joe" & "Fire".If you like Hendrix then maybe you'll like Cream,"Stange Brew" "Sunshine Of Your Love"

I think it would be easier learning the songs by listening to them and following along.

I'm pretty sure someone tabbed those songs right^^^

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Cream is a good suggestion. Also, listen to some Cake and try to learn that by ear, it's perfect for your purpose.

13. Curtis mayfield is a soul/funky singer (i dont know if he played an instrument) who is a legend and well worth checking out. You'll probably know 'move on up'...