Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good sounding amps for my 2x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Dorau, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a good sounding hybrid or solid state bassamp that's not too expensive. I want to use it with my Ampeg SVT 210HE cab. I've already got an Ampeg V4b, but I use that with my Ampeg SVT 115E cab. I Like the sound of that a lot, but it only sounds vintage and has very little headroom. That's why want to buy a second amp: to also have a more modern, cleaner sound with more headroom.
    Any suggestions?

2. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I think most can agree for hybrid, cheap, powerful, and good sounding, Hartke. I gut a Hartke HA3500 with my SWR goliath 210, and it really can put some other sets i've seen to shame. I eventually going to get an avatar 115 or 112 to pair with it. and for my age (14) Ive spend quite the good dollars on my set. i will also be the only kid in my city that is serious enough to do so:rolleyes:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Modern you say? Hmn. Modern. EBS Fafner springs to mind.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    EA iAMP350 or iAMP600.

killer solid state tone.

but the Hartke is another great, underappreciated one.

5. Yeah, the Hartke 3500 is an interesting one, and it's cheap! But is it any good? I hear people saying that one shouldn't buy Hartke-amps because they make a lot of noises and have a poor build quality. Is that so?

6. Has anyone ever tried the warwick sonic III or the Warwick Pro Fet II amps? How do they sound?
    And what about G&K-amps, e.g. the 400 RB-III?

I wrote that I wanted a clean sound... well, but not too clean. I like to have a nice, smooth growl added to my sound, so... the Warwick may sound too clean, but that's just a guess. I reckon the GK can 'growl', isn't it?
    The sound I'm looking for is best discribed as a clear yet powerfull 'in your face'-sound.
    :)