Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good sounding practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjigga, Oct 24, 2003.

1. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I'm currently in process of searching for a good sounding small combo amp (i.e. 1x10 or 1x12 50-100 watt range). I have an old carvin amp 100 watt 1x10 but it just doesn't sound great, and it's hard to stay motivated to practice at home if you don't have a good sounding amp to play through. It's a pain to setup the "rig" all the time just to jam in my room. I need something mainly to use at home, but also that will be loud enough for practices with a band where I don't need a lot of volume, just enough to be heard with drums and guitar. I don't really want to spend more than about $500 so that limits it too, cause I alreay have a rig for the serious stuff. The SWR Baby Blue would be great but they're close to $700. Anyone have any experience with the Warwick CL or Take 12? Any thoughts as to others that might work?

Dave

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Good sounding, small, $500. hmmmmmmm
    I have a GK Backline112. 100Watt. It sounds good, has a few extras and is loud enough for our church band. I'm not sure it would have the power to stand up to a drummer though, depends on how hard he plays. Of the few I tried out, this had the best sound of the little ones under $500. I tried an SWR, Fender and a 'Yorkville' (can't remember the new company name).

3. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I have always liked the sound of small Crate amps. For the money and size, you get a lot of noise out of them. I've never played a 100-watter, but I've played through a 60-watt that had no problem keeping up with distorted guitar and drums in a small/medium size room. Wouldn't recommend it for outdoors or a big room, but for the size and money they have a lot of punch and decent tone.

4. Ampeg's B50R and B100R are excellent choices. The B50R is very portable and is plenty loud for your needs. Either can be purchased used fo $300 or less.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hmm, that gives me an idea, i found a B50R locally for like 140, do you think i should get it? i really don't need it, but that seems like a good price.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 60 or 100.

7. That's an excellent price! Buy it and drop it off at my house; I'll kick an extra $50 your way.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    backline stuff sounded pretty good when I tried it, good prices too!

I had a ampeg b50r, but didn't seem to have enough volume with fairly loud drummer in the basement, keys and guitar. b100R might do the trick!

I personally like the SWR wm-12, but not sure if its loud enough for drums. wm-15?

9. My vote, and the price is right too!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    For five bills you could buy a used GK 400RB and a new Avatar 210. That would kick for practice.

For a little more you could find the same head and as Aggie 112.

11. I'd snatch that up in a second! And if you don't need it, sounds like the King is offering you a chance to make a few bucks on it :p

12. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I have an old Gallien Krueger 200 MB with just one 12" speaker and as you know the size of the amp is not much more than the size of this 12" speaker. Of course the tone isn't as deep and profound as lets say a 15". It has been my companion and practice amp for over 15 years now and I wouldn't change it for nothing. It's also great for the acoustic bass guitar and many upright bassplayers use them. It's very sturdy. All steel.