Good sounding practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've tried the following brands of practice amps: G-K's Backline, various Ampeg models,& various SWR Workingman models and I can't find one that does'nt sound like crap! I know it's just for practice, but I'd like to find a small practice amp that has at least a decent sound.

BTW, yes, I already did a "search". :p

And no, an SVT isn't considered a "small practice amp"! :D

Any opinions would be appreciated

Thanks, A.P.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend. Fender, Peavey, and Crate all have fairly decent reps for very good sounding budget equipment and featur-packed, toneful small combos, etc. However, if you really want a great sounding practice amp, go for a Phil Jones briefcase amp ( They cost a little more, but the performance will probably kill anything you've tried so far.
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have a hartke kickback 12 that I like alot better than swr, ampeg, fender, crate amps of that size.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    tech21 landmark 60 with 12" speaker.

EDITED 4-3-04:

well, just for the record I tried out a landmark 60 and have concluded that I do not like the tone of the 12" speaker they chose to put in it. I plugged one of my aguilar gs112s into it and that sounded MUCH better to me, so I think I'll be saving up my money for another power amp so I can have a small aggie/RBI/amp rig at home and leave my 2aggie/Rpm/stewart at church.

I think the landmark60 can appeal some people, but I'm just too picky about tone.
  5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Like someone said, it depends on how much you want to spend.

I would say get a used GK 400RB head off the bay and attach it to a small, affordable 112, like an Avatar. $450 should get you there. (It is also VERY expandable.

If you want to spend less, go used. Pick up a bigger GK combo like a 400RB/210.

Good Luck

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Like Smash said. The Roland is one of the best sounding practice amps available. The effects sound great. The modeling sounds great. It is extremely versatile, and loud enough to take to small jazz gigs.
  7. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    I love my Fender Bassman 25. It sounds awesome, has CD inputs, and doubles as a fantastic guitar amp. Definitely not loud enough to play with a drummer, but for practicing at home, it can't be beat. :)
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't feel that there is a better small amp for the price than the Hartke kickback 12. Also, that little thing is so loud that it's usable for small to medium sized gigs as well.
  9. if your looking for something to just play in your bedroom by yourself the Peavey Minx 1-10 is the best I came across cheap durable and sounds great. It also gets plenty loud to play with guitarists as long as they arent playing a half stack at full bore.
  10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    SWR Studio 220 + SWR Bass Monitor 12. It may take a while to locate used ones, but this rig works for me every time.
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yorkville BassMaster XM 100. Period.
  12. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    BG, ya I heard the xm100 after I returned my LM60 and WOW cool, yet simple combo.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm taking a chance on the Roland DB-500. I ordered one of the refurbs from Sam Ash, it should be on my doorstep anyday. I've read a lot of negative posts about the DB-500 being really noisy, but if it sounds good in my practice room, great. The price seems reasonable, so what the hey. If it sucks, I'll return it.

Wish me luck! -A.P.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The DB500 is a great amp! I am a big fan of Roland. They are well made, and sound fantastic. I don't think you will be disappointed!