Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good spoken word albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Apr 7, 2003.

1. I like to listen to spoken word albums when i do my homework, and i'm tired of the ones i have, so can your reccomend something along the lines of George Carlin, Henry Rollins, ect ect...?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Can't help you. I only listen to MUSIC.

(Although i am a Rollins band fan)

Don't get mad freaky, not trying to highjack a thread or anything, but, whats the point of a spoken word record? Maybe I don't understand the concept.

3. Just for like to tell a story, or listen to something, like AFAIK, Henry rollins doesn't write books, but i like his take and opinion on things, and his spoken word live albums let me listen to his views...

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Shows what YOU know! ;)

Well..I tried to paste the search result page for my Henry Rollins search at Amazon here but it didn't work out. Shows what I know. :) Either way he's written quite a few books.

brad cook

:spit:

5. I REALLY don't like Henry Rollins.

That being said, Jello Biafra's spoken word albums are entertaining if you're a pinko like me. As are Howard Zinn's.

AK Press has some good ones.

Of course, these are all pinko albums....so you'll have to look elsewhere if you're on the otherside of the spectrum.

I don't know about comedy albums...I always like stand-up in movie format rather than listening.

Ursula Rucker, my favorite favorite FAVORITE poetress has an audio CD: "Supa Sista" so I have to reccommend that.

that's all.

6. I think spoken word albums are intended for poets. Though a lot of spoken word albums are basically just taped lectures or recycled comedic performances, the best the "genre" has to offer are always the poetry albums.

I don't think you can really experience poetry until you have it read to you by the author. It's very rare (at least for me) for me to be able to read a poem and get a sense of what its spirit is. I think that when poems read aloud, as the author intended them to be heard, they really come to life. You don't have to worry about meter or time or any of that stuff. Just listen.

7. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    listen to big wig and get biafra

8. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Bukowski has a pretty good one but I can't remember the title of it. If you're not familiar with him, I'd recommend checking out one of his books first. "Tales of Ordinary Madness" is a good one to start with.

Also, Kerouac has some recorded versions of him reading poems and portions of "On the Road". That's pretty good too.

9. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    i forgot all about william burroughs.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Saying that spoken word is intended for poets is like saying that the bass should only have 4 strings....

If you haven't heard Richard Pryor's stuff from the 70's, you are missing out on some of the best comedy albums that exist.

My guitar player gave me a great disc for my birthday called, "Have We Told You All You'd Thought to Know?" It features spoken word by Robert Creely, a noted New York poet. What makes this disc so amazing is the band that is doing free form improv behind him--David Torn, Chris Massey, David CasT, and Steve Swallow on bass.

Good stuff.

I recently downloaded a bunch of Lenny Bruce and Howard Zinn stuff from www.emusic.com, too.

Another good source is the compliations of Great Speeches of the 20th Century and the old radio dramas/comedies from the 30s-50s. Plus, you can probably get your parents to spring for the Great Speehes stuff--tell him it's for school. In fact, you'll probably be able to use them for a presentation, or two, at some point.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    don't forget Allen Ginsberg...

12. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Are also available on CD. Those are usually pretty funny if you like Dennis.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just picked up a really funny one.

Spiro T. Agnew "Speaks Out"

It is a compilation of excerpts of his speeches from the Nixon days. Kind of scary/funny.

Personal favorite: "Challenge to the Hippies"

Also, Any Richard Pryor albums from the 70's/early 80's.

14. You're right,

I guess I misspoke when I said it was intended for poets. I meant that I think the best spoken word albums are the ones by poets.

I agree about the radio comedy's and dramas. The Shadow is one of the best shows ever on TV or radio.

However, I still prefer my stand-up comedy on video or DVD rather than on CD, I just like to watch my comics as well, instead of just listening to them.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! No Gil Scott Heron!

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    red sovine

ol' teddy bear

:D

17. Check out Ken Nordine doing his "wordjazz".