Good Squier Jazz...?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RIZ, Oct 30, 2004.

1. O.k..... I recently bought a '93 Korean Fender/Squier Jazz off Ebay - I intended for it to be a knock around bass, as there are some jamming situations that I get into where my (very) nice Spectors are just like trout fishing with dynamite.

Anyway, I get this Squire and first thing I do is take it completely apart - I mean completely. If it was bolted or screwed on it was removed - everything.

I never even played it first before disassembling it. I'm very comfortable doing this as I've been setting up basses for 20 yrs...

I clean and detail the whiole thing... pots/p/ups cleaned w. electrical contact cleaner...blah blah...

Then I reassemble it and install a new BadassII bridge, set up the intonation, relief, action etc... and then a new set of strings.

Whoa....!!! :eek: :D The darn thin pumps & growls!!! Wuz up wit that???? I mean it has intense output from the p/ kidding !!! Isn't this supposed to be a Squire...???

Oh and for the record...I was up til this last June '04 the orig. owner of a sunburst '77 Fender Jazz in mint pristine shape...(sold it for $1200.00 to the 1st guy who looked at it...)

so I guess I must know a little about how a Fender Jazz is supposed to sound.

The headstock has the Large "Fender" Logo and under it in microscopic size it sez "Made in Korea" with the "CNxxxxx" serial nbr. Then way up at the top of the headstock where the old USA Jazz bass's say "contour body" in very slightly larger script it sez "Squire series" - again, it's tiny, tiny writing.

Point is, yes I know it's a Squire, but it doesn't appear to be of the modern level of quality....definite throwback feel and sound....

So my question is this, Back in the day did Fender ship the parts overseas for their Squire line? This bass sure hints of the current MIM style of imported US mat'ls and native labor.

I'm probably full of it...and the thing will explode on me tonight when I plug it in.....but last night I just couldn't get over the whole sound it has.....

I will play it and If I am unhappy at some point, I am open to putting Fender custom shop '62 p/ups and USA pots in it as well as the Fender reverse vintage tuners.

Confused by the sound...that a Squire shouldn't have!!!
  2. no one in this community knows if Fender was shipping the mat'ls & parts to to Korea for the early Squire series basses... :confused: :confused: :confused:
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    At one time Fender did have Squiers manufactured in Korea. They are considered to a be a rarity and of exceptional quality for an overseas made product. They aren't supposed to be as good as the original Japanese Squiers but are tremendously better than the Chinese and Indonesian Squiers.

You can google on this for more information.
  4. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Go here to ask:

Fender Forums

Glenn D.