Good standalone cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'm on the hunt for the best standalone cab I can get for my purposes.

I mostly play hard rock/metal in a 4 piece band with a loud drummer and 2 guitarists with marshall half-stacks. I tune to drop D and don't usually use 5 string but would like the cab to be able to handle one if required. I play fingerstyle 95% of the time. I like a nice punchy, growly tone that I can get from my Warwick Corvette and Wal when I record direct. Oh... and we play LOUD!

I would like the cab to be able to cover most other styles of music also (I'm due to join a covers band in the near future doing mostly country rock type stuff).

I'll be using an Asdown ABM500 head to run the cab, but may be changing over to a thunderfunk 550 in the near future.

I've narrowed the search down to the following cabs:

Accugroove El Whapo Jr.
    EBS Proline 4x10
    Epifani 410UL
    Schroeder 21012

I know there are plenty of supporters for all these cabs, but since I'm in Northern Ireland I can't try all of them out before purchase (us European TBers aren't that lucky). I have tried the Epifani before and was mightily impressed, although that wasn't at gig volume or with my own bass. I've tried an EBS 2x10 also and liked it too so I'm assuming that the 4x10 is better again (I've really only thrown it in the mix because I have a line on one of these second hand - but it's a fair bit heavier than the other 3 cabs mentioned).

I've tried a search on these cabs and read an awful lot - so much that my brain is frying! So help a brother out with opinions, or alternative suggestions!
  2. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Goes with the Schroeder, you'll love it for sure.
    These cabs cut in the mix in a beautiful way...
  3. An Idea from left field, that hartke cab with a 15" and two 8" ? i have never heard it but maybe someone else could fill you in on it?
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Based upon your criteria, I would recommend the Whappo, Jr. Great cab!