Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Starter amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JahWarrior44, Jun 19, 2003.

1. JahWarrior44

JahWarrior44 Guest

Jun 15, 2003
    l.p, Michigan
    :confused: I just stared playing bass about 6 months ago,and i'm looking to get a good house amp. Nothing big-thikin about getting a peavey TKO
    or TNT 115. Have any advice or sugestions?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Welcome to TalkBass, Drew.

Imo you cant go wrong with a Peavey TNT as a starter amp(its what I started with). They give a god bang for the buck, although they are rather heavy.

Take a look at your local music store, or the TB classifieds and see if you can find a good used one to start.

3. hey,
    I have a Peavey TKO. IMO I think it sucks ass. The tone's pretty bad and the thing clips really easily. Although it's a pretty good value

I say a nice cheap combo would be the Fender Bassman 100

4. Peavey Microbass, that has got to THE first amp amp.

(edit: oops, didn't read the post, uh...try to score a used ampeg combo, that's what I got. A B3158 for $500 used.)

5. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I saw a SWR WM 1x15 in talkbass classifieds a while back.
    Joe

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    im using a laney hcm65b at the moment and i love it, it perfect for in teh house but im gonna need more punch for bigger gigs, its got a line out for pa which might come in handy. And its got compression for when i need to do a bit o' slapping

7. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Personally I am a fan of Hartke's Non-Metal cones. I use a Hartke B60. This is such a nice practice amp. You can also use it at small gigs.
    Has a lot of oomph for 60 watts. There are also 90 and 120 watt versions of this amp. The 90 is a 15" speaker and is a little slow. The 60 is a 12" and nice! The 120 is 2 12" speakers.

The 60 fills decent sized coffee houses and restaurants no problem. There is a line out to go to the PA if you need. The line out is post eq.

Other amps I liked were:

Trace-Elliot Boxer 65 (combo)
    Gallien Krueger Backline 110 (combo)

Gallien Krueger Backline 250 and Backline 115 (these are separates but not expensive)

Tone-wise:

I personally like the Hartke B60 ($350) better than the SWR super readhead that I use for playing clubs ($1300). Conversions are approximate from Japanese YEN.

-Aladdin

P.S. the bass is a MM Stingray 4.