Good starter bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dain bramage, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I want to get a bass, but I don't know what to get? What's a good bass for the money for a beginner like me?

PS, I'm 15 and about 6 feet tall.
  2. Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    i'm about your size, you'll find that you have no trouble fitting into basses, long arms reach all teh way down the neck without strain. Check out Fender Jazz Basses (Made in Mexico) that retail at about 350-400$. Also, check out SX basses at (or .com, cant remember). If you go down the SX bass route, get the bass professionally set up (take it to a nearby music store and ask if they will set up your bass), which will cost another 25-50$.

Have fun.
  3. Well, if it has to be set up, is setting it up like on a guitar? If it is, my dad could do it since he plays guitar. What are some other good brands? Does Ibanez have any good affordable basses?
  4. Iread some reviews that said the strings weren't very good. Will they suffice?
  5. just pop on some rotosounds. most the time, at least when i buy a new bass, i always pop on some fresh strings. new strings, set up if needed, done and done.
  6. ok, any more suggestions oh getting started playing?
  7. Mastering The Bass Book 1.

everything you need to get started on your own. except the bass of course. :D
  8. hey dude, ive got a fender squire p-bass and i think that if you are planning on going ANYWHERE with your bass, go with a bass that you will be kool with later on. bass is a really easy thing to play, and , as soon as you get it, you will want to move on. i didnt have very much money, so i got this, but now that i want something better, im stuck with it. but if you arnt sure if you are going to actually do anything with learning bass, like you just want to learn it as a hobby, then a squire is a pretty good bass, for a cheep price. but other than that, go with a good bass for your first!! l83r dude!!
  9. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    heres a few that i have played or own or know ppl that own. all good of corse

yamaha RXB 374

Fender P MIM

Fender jazz

Ibanez sr300

Epiphone T-bird

Those are only a few.

you said that your dad plays guitar.
    the best thing is for you two to take a trip to a store and spend the day playing and trying every thing that you can. don't look at any prices. just play everything. after a while you will find out more of what you like and what feels best for you. then you can pick a bass that will fits you the best.

thats what i did on most occasions
  10. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I'm very satisfied with both my Spector Performer (old body shape) and OLP MM2. Definitely take a look at those if you don't want to go down the Fender road. I had a MIM Fender Jazz and absolutely despised it, but I'm thinking that I got a lemon. That thing had NO sustain and the frets buzzed uncontrollably, even after it was professionally set up.
  11. FENDER JAZZ BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Certainly a matter of opinion.... but you are asking for opinions.... among the low-dollar basses ($300 or less), I seem to like Yamahas the best.

This may not be the very best starter book, but it's free.....
  13. kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
  14. hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    First, my suggestion is to buy a good used bass rather than a new bas son which you pay the "new premium".

Second, as far as brands, for beginners I have been partial to the Fender Jazz basses (this was my beginner bass), Schecters, and even a Spector Legend 4. They are good quality for the price.

Most of all, enjoy and get a bass you are comfortable with.
  15. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    As i just picked up a new (used) warwick, I will part with my Ibanez ATK 300 w/case if you are interested. It is well reviewed on

you can email me at if interested
  16. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go SX.

Personally, I'd recommed the PJ

Or any of the jazz's...

and about the strings - I foudn them to be pretty good, but maybe thats just me - gave me a lot of thump that I was looking for.

And with teh setup, a lot of the Sx's come really well set up, or atleast mine did...
  17. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Ask for some lessons for x-mas or whatever and find and instructor the you like.
    This may mean trying a couple of different people before you find the right one.
    The right person can take years off the learning curve and insure you enjoy it and stick with it.

Also, find some people to jam with and learn songs with. That's when it gets totally fun.

Good luck,

18. DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    Just get one of the ibanez starter packs, everything you need is included and it will be easy to learn on and with a pickup upgrade in the future will make a sturdy and reliable backup. The cheap ibanez basses always seem to have the best fretwork in the price range.
  19. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)