Good Starter Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaBassman, Dec 1, 2002.

1. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Looking for good inexpensive starter bass for my son. Samick, Jay Turser, RavenWest, Aslin Dane,Brice.....alot out there. Any feedback (quality)from owners of any of these?
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Just how inexpensive? A lot of TBers (Talkbass contributors) endorse Essex basses (or SX) at Rondo Music. A Fender Standard Precision or Jazz bass would make an excellent starter bass, too.
  3. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Trying to stay under $200....I had a lefty Essex LP copy. It was very nice. But never bought a bass from Rondo. They sure look good!
  4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    My first bass was a samick. It cam in a starter pack for about $300. I'm not sure of the model but it was a P bass copy. It was a decent bass for a beginner. It sounded pretty good. The construction was decent for the price. But, for the price I paid, I should have gotten either an Ibanez or Squier package. Too bad I didn't know what to look for.
  5. Go for the Essex. Really inexpensive, but definitely a good bass for the money. Maybe even good for twice that price.
  6. Fender MIJ P-bass. Got mine for $300 new. You can probably find one used for $200
  7. I've seen those Brice basses in some website.. I couldn't help trying those if I saw them.. they seem pretty attractive.. and very affordable.