Good Starter Headphone Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Head Creep, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm a somewhat educated n00b when it comes to all of this, so I'm hoping that someone could enlighten me as to what the hell I'm doing. I'm gonna go to Guitar Center this Thursday and buy my first bass, probably an Ibanez GSR200 or Yamaha RXB170, whichever feels best.

Since I am a beginner, and don't want to irritate the hell out of my parents, I'm planning on using an amp solely with headphones. Problem is, I have no idea what to get. I'm looking to spend $100 or less, and buy a nicer amp when I learn to play that second string and thereby am qualified to join a high school garage band (a year ago I was asked to play bass for a metal band based purely on the fact that I look like Cliff Burton, but I digress). I was eyeing the Behringer Bass V-Amp because it seems like a semi-long-term investment that I could grow with, but I'm not sure if it's too much for a beginner. So, what would be a good beginner headphone amp for $100 or less?
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I bought a Pocket Rock-it headphone amp last year before my first year in college (just in case people in the dorm didn't like have the building shake). It's worked quite well for me. With the right headphones, I get pretty decent tone for what I'm doing (I'm using cheap $30 Sonys). The Line-in works quite nicely with my iPod as well. I think I bought mine for $50 at GC.
  4. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Pocket Rock-It sounds nice, but I'd rather not deal with batteries. Ideally I'd get something that just plugs into a power outlet, but if it was the better product, I'd dig up my battery charger and buy a couple rechargable batteries.

As a beginner, that Hartke looks great, even though it's almost definately overkill. I'll definately be looking into that...
  5. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    You can score a mint used peavey microbass or even basic 112 for way under 100, and they have these philips headphones at target right now for 20 bucks that are pretty decent for the price.
  6. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Go with the Sam Ash Hartke 1400 head deal for $99 like NeedMoreBass suggested. It's got a headphone jack which mutes the speaker output (so you can use it now as a headphone amp), and later on when you're ready to play for the rest of the world you can always add a cheap cabinet and have a 140watt amp. Plus, you'll have plenty of extra bass strings around :D

- Frank.
  7. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I'm gonna jump on Sam Ash's deal on the Hartke. It seems like a great investment, plus it'll more than serve its purpose right now. Shoddy garage bands, here I come!

BTW, thanks for posting that link. A year from now, my wallet will be thanking you.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the real ticket is to get soem good headphones
    akg 240's are not all that expensive as far as good headphones go, and being able to hear yourself without distortion will make your life much more pleasant
  9. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm an audio geek, so I have a pair of Grado SR-60's. Very nice headphones, but for them to be truly great, I had to replace the headband. Yeah, I'm a geek...
  10. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Given your stated situation and desires, any amp will do as long as it has the headphone jack option. The Behringer V Amp is a good place to start. However, if you want something to last a lifetime, suit your needs and show off your projected abilities on the instrument, buy a black amp with a large "a" in the upper left hand corner........ IM (old school) O :smug: