Good starter Tops/Cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David-Adler, May 9, 2001.

1. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

I want to start playing without the PA or a Combo, but I don´t want to spend thousands of dollars. What would you recommend? I thought about a Peavey Top (Firebass) and Cabs made by a local dealer, but do you have any other tips ?I want it to be loud..just right for rock or harder rock...

2. Well, I don't know how they compare pricewise with Carvin or Peavey, but I know the Yorkville stuff is pretty tough to beat valuewise. Good equipment at good prices.

Not fantastic equipment, mind you, but good solid stuff.

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

My personal answer to this same question was a Hartke HA4000 head and SWR WM-15 cab. So far so good (I've only had it a few months) but I've only done one gig. That gig was bass tone nirvana for me, probably because it was outdoors so I had no room reflections to deal with (and I didn't even get to really turn up, either). I want to add either a 2x10 or 1x12 to my setup later in the year. Oh yeah, one of my personal requirements was reasonable size & weight (single person carry up stairs) or I would have gone with a Genz Benz 212-XB cab (80 lbs - 4 Ohms only) and a head that was either stereo or handled 2 Ohm loads.