Good starter Tops/Cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David-Adler, May 9, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

I want to start playing without the PA or a Combo, but I don´t want to spend thousands of dollars. What would you recommend? I thought about a Peavey Top (Firebass) and Cabs made by a local dealer, but do you have any other tips ?I want it to be loud..just right for rock or harder rock...

David

2. Well, I don't know how they compare pricewise with Carvin or Peavey, but I know the Yorkville stuff is pretty tough to beat valuewise. Good equipment at good prices.

Not fantastic equipment, mind you, but good solid stuff.

FF

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

My personal answer to this same question was a Hartke HA4000 head and SWR WM-15 cab. So far so good (I've only had it a few months) but I've only done one gig. That gig was bass tone nirvana for me, probably because it was outdoors so I had no room reflections to deal with (and I didn't even get to really turn up, either). I want to add either a 2x10 or 1x12 to my setup later in the year. Oh yeah, one of my personal requirements was reasonable size & weight (single person carry up stairs) or I would have gone with a Genz Benz 212-XB cab (80 lbs - 4 Ohms only) and a head that was either stereo or handled 2 Ohm loads.