Good step-up bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Okay well I've been playing for a few months now on a Squier P bass (which I got in one of those starter packs) and I've been looking for a step up bass (either that or put new pick-ups in my bass). Could anyone recommend a good one?

I was looking mainly at Fenders, although I wanna stay at a price below $400. If it were up to me, I'd get a Geddy Lee, but I don't have a good source of money. I've been thinking about looking for a used bass, but I can't really find a good place for them (since most of the classified places, such as here, have basses wwwwaaayyy out of my price range). I havn't gotten around to checking out any local shops (I live in Jacksonville, FL, so if someone wants to recommend a good place). And I'd also like something not in black, although I'm not very picky.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. what kind of music do you play? what kind of tone do you wish to achieve? stuff like that is important for people to know before they can respond. pretty much all i can say is hunt around man, make sure to play everything you're even thinking of buying.

if your into metal, seriously check out ESP/LTD, they're pretty decent:bassist: . pay no mind to BC Rich, only their higher end stuff is decent, and even then...:spit:
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you want to step up, and check out something totally different, have a look at a Korean made Spector. The NS2000 series are great basses. They can be had for $400 and under used.

4. I'm not into metal. I myself am into progressive rock and intricate (I believe is the word) basslines. But I'm not very good right now, so I can't really come up with my own.

As for the tone...well I don't know how to describe it. Something bright I suppose. Warm and round is good, but I don't like it to the point that it's almost indistinguishable against other guitars.

Also, if there's something that I could upgrade because I really wanna get into building and working on guitars.
  5. schecter model t or the new diamond j series, screw fender standards! but those are $450-500, for under $400 theres not much you can get. the only one i can think of would be a t-bird

i wouldnt say SX are step-up basses, but theyre better than squiers and good for modding and cheaper than a squier. but i wouldnt go with that
  6. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    If you're going to go the Spector route, check ebay for a Euro Rebop. They can be had for around $500. I'd take that anyday over a Korean Spector.
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    You may want to check out the Yamaha BB Series.

BB414= 4 string (passive) $399.99 new at Musicians Friend.

There are others available in the BB Series (active, 5-string). Those will cost you a bit more.

I haven't played any of these, but they seem to have a lot of fans around here. A classic bass at a great price.

Good luck! Try everything you can in your price range and get the "one" that speaks to you. Happy hunting!

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For sure, I was just staying in the $400 and under he requested. Besides, let him get a Korean one first. He'll be back asking about a Rebop shortly. :D

9. I was never really into Spectors (although they get a plus from me because Mic Todd uses them), but since you guys seem so sure about them, I'll definately have to check one out.
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I would second the recommendation for the BB414 by Yamaha.

Alternatively, the Fender Standard Jazz is a very solid choice that (if you pick a decent one with a good neck) will stay with you forever. Both are under $400.

Last, a used Lakland 44-01 is a great bass that can sometimes be found for $450. Nice choice there.

If you can't spend $400, you probably ought to continue saving, as you won't find anything much better than what you've already got.
  11. wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

+1 on the Yamaha BB series. Yamaha doesn't know how to make a bad bass.

Also, you might want to consider Godin. The Freeway 4 is a passive P/J config with Volume / volume /tone controls, string-thru body, solid cast bridge with seven screws, and slim Fender Jazz dimension on the neck. It is surprisingly refined and well-built for such an inexpensive guitar. I think you can get them for around $400 to $450 US. Also, made in the good ol' US from Canadian parts. They also have an active version with soapbars.

The Freeway 4 was my first bass guitar and although I love the MIA Fender Precision I traded it for, I really wish I still had that guitar. It was a great all-arounder.
  13. Hey, I checked out a Schecter Diamond Custom 4 at GC today. I was really impressed. It sells new there for $500. I bet you could find a used one in good shape on ebay for under $400. That thing had an EMG soapbar pup, a nice look and felt great.
  14. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 I play a spector ns2000 q5, and it does me well. I play everything from hard rock to jazz and in between.
  15. If you save about another $100 you could probably find a used Geddy. I'd also consider the used market, as that will give you many more options.
  16. Can I just borrow this thread a minute? I won't be long.

I'm also looking toward my 'second' (read first good quality) bass. I will have a budget of around £400 (given the way prices compare that would be about $500-$550). I play mostly rock (Rage, Muse, that area) but I still want something with a good range of tones as this will probably be my one-and-only bass for a couple of years and I don't want to get to limited.

The other consideration is that I want to move on to a fiver. I'm quite tempted by a Warwick (in the UK you can get a RockBass Fortress 5 for £375ish), or maybe another Ibanez. People keep mentioning Spectors (which I have to admit I've never even heard of), are they really that hot?

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Any and all help will be welcome.

17. Be my guest to use this, Henry. I don't need it too much anymore.

But anyway, Spector's not like a big name brand, but they're coming up. Go to their website and they have a list of artists that use their brand. I know one of my favourite bass players, Mic Todd of Coheed and Cambria (who's GREATLY underrated) uses them. Actually, the drummer's father works with Spector if I remember correctly (he's related to someone who works there).

I saw a few of them at Guitar Center last Saturday. They looked nice and weren't grossly expensive, so you might wanna try some of them out. I didn't take the time to do that, simply because I didn't wanna get them off the wall.
  18. Cheers wdinc01, i'll check them out. Can anyone else offer some words of wisdom to this relatively new bass soul?

Oh, and BUMP.
  19. chakah

chakah Rockin' the 80's

Feb 2, 2006
    In the same boat - started out on Squier P-Bass. Right now looking for a Fender American Deluxe Precision or MusicMan bass. Check out local guitar stores and pawn shops - you might find some good deals on used gear there.
    I recently saw a Musicman Sub at a local store for $500 - almost bought it on the spot.
  20. In case anyone was wondering, I called two local shops. The first one was Chip's music. I asked the guy if they had any Fender P-bass specials. He told me they hadn't sold one there in twelve years. I was alittle awestruck. I then found out they had a used RIC from the 70's that had some mods on it (Badass bridge, checkerboard binding's or something), and it was $1100. As much as I want a RIC, I still can't afford one.

The other place is George's music. A lady answered, and she forwarded me to a guy named Rob (funny story, I was just talking to my friend Rob about that place. I thought he mighta been messing with my head somehow). I asked him if they had any P-bass specials, and I guess he wasn't too familiar with them. They didn't have any, but they've got some basses on clearence so I might head over there.