Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good step up for around $200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Okay, I'm in the market for a good step up bass. I went to Guitar Center, and probably the one that I liked most was an Ibanez GSR200 (although it was like $230 because it had that transperent blue sunburst paint job). Right now I have a Squier affinity series P bass. If anyone can recommend anything that could maybe do some gigs (I'm working on one band, I might start a Pink Floyd tribute band). And if possible, be a black one, since a guy told me that it's possible to like air brush a design on a guitar then put a clear coat over it, which I might do.

So yeah, I'll go up to $300 at most. If you call can pitch brands for me to try out. Also I'm looking for something that I could install a thumbrest onto if it doesn't have a pickguard (unless someone can give me a reason not to)

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Rondomusic.net

Get an essex. They are fanastic.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    SX.

I just threw one up on ebay too, and I miss it already, even though its sittin in my room. I was fortunate to hit a Ibanez SR800 on ebay in basically new condition for 190 shipped...lucky me :D

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $200 is hardly a step up from anything.

5. It apparently is for him.

I'd look at used MIM Fenders if it was me.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    id stick with the squier, and only upgrade when i decide to spend more money. a few hundred more bucks when you are more serious is probably a better decision than getting a new bass. and a few hundred bucks really opens up your choices.

get your bass properly set up, if it isnt. usually that breathes a whole new thing into any bass, squier or not.

7. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I say check out some used mim fender or used schecters

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    +1 on the used, plus don't forget about ibanez used. they have plenty of dark colord higher end basses (sr series, roadgear series, etc.) which sound better, play just as well, and will be just as cheap used.

theres also olp.

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I have yet to find a used MIM go for $200... I'd really like to see where you guys are looking.. At that price a used CIJ must be $300?

10. One of the small local music stores takes consignments and there are often used MIM's for $200 or so. Pawnshops are a good source, too. I paid $300 for my MIJ fretless Jazz Bass at the local store, if that answers your question.

11. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    If you absolutely NEED a new bass and only have about $200 to spend, go for an OLP MM2. I have one and it plays better than a MIM Fender Jazz that I used to have.

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    damn pawnshops around here the lowest I've seen an MIM is $300.. but sometimes they don't know the difference between MIM and CIJ they just look for USA.. so u can get a hell of a deal on a CIJ

13. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City

You just got to know where to look. I recently bought a mim passive deluxe precision for $200 from gc. It was a little dirty, but once I got it home and wiped it down, it looked brand new. And it's the best playing fender i have played to date.

14. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Used MIM Fender P&Js or new SX are super bang for buck routes to take. However I think I agree with ehque and also recommend holding off on buying another bass until yr ready to really step up to a better quality axe. I question how much of a step up it will be from what you already have given the price range yr talking. Why not score a used Seymour Quarter Ponder P pickup off eBay, maybe even a inexpensive Badass II bridge off of eBay as well? You can take it to a guitar tech, have him/her install and give it a proper set up with good strings and have that ok sounding Squire turned into a kick-ass bass for $150 or even less if you shop around.

BTW, I can see someone changing a pick gaurd for cosmetic purposes; but an airbrush job on a $200 bass is simply throwing yr money away.

Good luck,

r

15. you could get nice SX off rondo music with money to spare.

16. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yamaha BB414

use the search function on this forum for reviews and ask if they have one at GC. If they have one you should be able to talk them down to somewhere around $300-350

THE best bang for the buck!

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I agree with FigJam. Save some more money and upgrade more.

18. Well I might take my friend's Squier bass (it's that PJ one with a skull and cross bones on it) and sell it to someone. Maybe convince that $150 is a good deal (the reason why I won't use the bass is because he did something to it. I'm not sure what, but one of the knobs doesn't work. And I just don't like it too much). So that there could get me up to around $300.

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Used MIM precision or jazz.