Good string action?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Nov 10, 2002.

1. I just measured mine @ 3/4" @ 12th fret.

Is this good? I mean I don't play slap, so I'm not asking if it's a good HIGH action. I play Metal, so like, I need as low as possible :D
  2. wow, i've played uprights with lower action. i have much respect for you if you can play with action that high.
  3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    3/4 of an inch? GOOD GOD, how in the world do you play that? You must have the fingers from heaven.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    3/4 of an inch!?! Wouldn't that make his neck like a big "U" ?

Are you sure it is 3/4 of an inch? I have a hard time believing that...
  5. Yeah it's bent. Let me measure it again...

*runs to room*

Okay I'm back. :D

From the fretboard itself, to the bottom of the string, is *give or take a millimeter* 1/2"

This normal?
  6. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Actually most slappers like their action low, not high. More aggressive fingerstyle and pick players usually like a little higher action so they can really dig in without fret buzz.

Like everyone has said, that is EXTREMELY HIGH action. I just measured mine. 5/64" at the 12th fret with the string depressed at the first fret. I have seen some basses in stores set up badly with really high action, but nothing like 3/4".

Did you buy this bass used or new?
  7. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Oops...You must've posted again while I was typing :)

Measure from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string with the string depressed at the first fret.

Even measured from the fretboard to the string, 1/2" is on the high side. I would do a setup and lower the action. How much depends on how much you dig in. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself (like me :)), take it to a good tech.

Good luck.
  8. So is 1/2" a good or bad thing??

This is with the open string, I didn't depress it on the 1st fret or anything.

What would be a GOOD action? 1/4"? God that would kick a$$ :D
  9. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    In my mind 1/2 inch = very bad. Seems like even the most inexpensive bass could benefit from a setup. Adjusting the truss rod so the neck has the correct amount of relief is the place to start. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself take the advice of others and take it to a professional. Metal?? I'm not sure I could play a country balad with that type of action!:D
  10. What's your action?

And I'll take that 2nd part as a compliment thank you very much. :D

I mean it's playable. I guess it's because my action is so terrible I've gotten use to it. I can play most of Anesthesia, alot of Metallica stuff without much trouble (action wise).

So when I get my new bass, it's $600 so I expect it'll have good action..I'll feel like a god with a lower action :D

"HOLY HELL! I didn't know I was this good!"

11. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You can get much lower action than 1/2" or 1/4". Like I said, the action on my bass is about 5/64" on all strings. I highly recommend taking your bass to a good tech to get a setup. I recently had a setup done on my bass and it has made a world of difference in playability, and my bass wasn't even that poorly setup in the first place. And it only cost me $10! (Thanks John @ Bass Alone!).

You'll be amazed at how much a good setup can improve the playability of your bass.
  12. I used to dig in incredibly hard, so I raised the action to have no fret buzz. All the way to 5/8in. Now I start to play more technical type stuff opposed to the beginner world and I can't stand it; but at the same time, I can't find my allen wrench. What a world, what a world.

Here's a tip, however. To find which action you like best, head out to the local Mars or Guitar Center. They're guarenteed to have a wide variety of actions, so play around. It's how I decided to lower mine.
  13. actually, no. you'll play way too hard and have the strings hitting the frets and possibly the pickups and you'll say "HOLY HELL! I have to relearn my instrument!"

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    My action is currently 1/8", which is fine for jam sessions but I might have to raise it about 2 millimeters before we go into the studio to make sure there's no buzzing at all. I agree with Dance Hall Clasher it will take you some time to adjust to a drastically lower action.
  15. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but since you asked my low B measures 1/16th at the 12th fret measured in playing position with the 1st fret depressed. I play with a fairly light touch. I do get the occasional faint buzz, but not much. Very nice action for me. Then again I did spend a month and a half salary on my bass. Fodera, there is no substitute!:cool:
  16. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    but I have the action on my Modulus Genesis 5 at less than 1/16th at the 12 fret and even lower on my pedulla Rapture j5 Fretless. Granted I'm also using a light guage string, .40 to .120.
  17. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Very cool, I should have added that I have had action that low on other basses that were less expensive as well. My friend Ed has a Pedulla which has amazing action. Saw somethin' about Dingwall being super low in another thread.
  18. Well, when I FIRST got my bass, no kidding the action was probably an inch high lol. But I took it to the shop and had it adjusted, and it was SO much easier to play after that.