Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good string for blues on a fretless fender jazz bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 12, 2004.

1. what is the best string for blues on a fretless bass, we play stevie ray vaughan style of music plus some led zeppelin. i absolutly hate flatwounds, dont get me stareted with them, and i cant use steel beacuse that will tare up my fretbourd very quickly, so it has to be a nickel roundwound, any body have any ideas, o yea i dont like bright ness to much, i jike a good worn in dead string basically.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If I use nickel rounds I use either Fender 7250's or D'Addario XL165's. They both sound good in the context you stated.

Dan

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Why do you hate flats? What ones have you used?

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Any old and thumpy nickel wounds, all the blues I have heard live is very thumpy, never bright and distinct.

5. i used fender flats and d'addario chromes, they really sucked, but i did liek the sound of the fender flats i just really hated teh feel.

6. I'll suggest GHS Brite Flats. They are actually groundwound strings and have a little more texture in their feel than normal flats. I have used them on my fretless MIJ Jazz Bass for years. They are a little livlier than normal flats but they "break in" nicely and you'll get the sound you're looking for. I am a blues player, too.

7. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I will second the recomendation for the Fender strings. They do not call them super bass for nothing. Right out of the pack they have a deep, warm tone. I have been round and round on strings for my jazz and precision. Although I really like Smith and Roto stainless rounds I do not like the fret wear. The Fenders come very close to the stainless for tone and are actually quite growly. They may sound a little bright acoustically, but through the amp they come through with lots of bass. I would actually like a little higher tension out of them.
    I wish you would say why you do not like flats. Fender 9050 stainless flats are a very good string for blues. Heck there a good string for most any kind of music. They require a little hand strength to bend or pull some fancy type moves. If your playing blues they really are the string to use.
    After I posted I saw your reply that you thought the Fender flats "sucked". So I went and looked at some of your other post to maybe get an idea of what your after here. It would be helpful if your opinion on everything was not that it just "sucked" From your description of what you are looking for flats are going to be the string that you are looking for. You may want to try a groundwound string or Fender pure nickel strings. I have not used the pure nickel strings but reviews I have read said they were very warm with lots of low end.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My absolute favorite string for fretless Jazz bass are the D'Addario XL's. When they loose the top end, they sound so smooth and warm. They feel great too. Currently I am using TI Jazz flats. I am really liking them. They don't feel like flats IMO.