Good string for Rockabilly?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by lungcookie, Jun 2, 2003.

1. lungcookie

Mar 29, 2003
    My Kay is strung with Hellicore Lights. Is this a decent steel string for rockabilly slap? I want to try guts and have heard the Velvet Garbos are a good string but pricey. How about the Innovation Rockabilly strings?
  2. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Don't know.

You might try the Rotosound RS-4000.

They're slaparific!
  3. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    Hi there,
    I use a plain gut G a golden spiral D (or plain gut) and Sensicore E and A. I have tried almost every string out there and I always come back to this combo. It is easy on my arms and you can slap like crazy on them. The E and A have focus and volume unlike plain gut strings.
  4. tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    how's their arco response? because i'm in college, i have to play all styles from jazz to orchestral. i have a band on the side and want to start slappin' some in it, but i need to make sure the strings i get have good arco and pizz (and slap!) tone.
  5. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    i personally like the arco sound of my set. if you do more arco and orchestral stuff you could try the sensicore E and A and Oliv D and G combo-- the oliv are fairly low tension and are awesome strings--remember until the 50's everyone used gut strings--often it was gut E and A with a metal wrap and plaing gut D and G--I figure if Mingus could get away with it so can I...
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Velvet Garbos are awesome for slapping, much easier on your hands than steel and a great sound. They are perhaps too crisp for the vintage rockabilly style. You will appreciate the brighter tone and increased sustain when playing jazz though!

I have been vary happy with the Garbos...I play blues so I do less slapping than a rockabilly guy would. The strings have held up well to date (18 months with 2-4 gigs a week).

Arco on Garbos isn't bad except for the G string which uses a different winding than the other 3. I found it pretty hard to get a good bow sound; luckily I have two basses so one is set up with gut, the other steel (for bowing, jazz or very high volume gigs with a mag pickup). The Animas are Velvet's arco gut string, I have not tried them though.

Keep in mind if you are using a magnetic pickup you have to stick with steel strings.