Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good strings for a 5--string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Johnny Flash, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Johnny Flash

Johnny Flash

Jan 2, 2004
    I need some moderately priced strings for my Ibanez EDC715. I play metal and am tired of my elixir string peeling.

2. What are your preferences for tone?..

Well.. My best choice are DaAddario XL nickel roundwounds .. And they come in a wide variety of gauges and lenghts.

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I personally like DR Lo-riders with a .125 B, theyre pretty pricey though, I bought some for $50 Canadian! I can't wait till I put them on (I can't now, because I'm in the process of recording a CD and I want to stay consistent).

4. Johnny Flash

Johnny Flash

Jan 2, 2004
    I don't care all that much about tone, I'm just looking for a darker sound than normal.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    You could do a search, but if you're searching for a darker tone, less bright, then try half rounds or flat wounds. What kind of strings are you using now?

6. Johnny Flash

Johnny Flash

Jan 2, 2004
    I'm using an Elixir 5 string set right now. .045-0.130 guage. I like them, but the coating starts to peel after about a month and I can't afford $80CDN for new strings anymore.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Which Elixers are you using, Nanoweb or Polyweb? Have you tried D'Addario EXPs?

8. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    Try the D'Addario Prisms.

Powerful strings with a great low B. I tried 4 sets in the past 6 months and settled on these.

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Im with bill7122 on this one.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds like you could use a set of Nickel roundwound strings. much smoother sounding than the usual steel strings, and fatter IMHO. also, wont rip up your fingers nearly as much, and feel smooth and silky under your fingertips.

a cool set to start with are LaBella Slappers. either that or order a set of Roger Sadowsky's new nickel strings. they're my current no. 1 string.

flatrounds are much darker sounding, but IMHO, sound horrible for slap. the roundwound shape of the nickels give you a killer slap sound, while the nickel tames the high end for that darker smoother tone.

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    ehhhh...Jokerjkny is right, flats are indeed horrible for slapping...nickle rounds sound like your best option...