Good Strings for a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LoveThatBass, Mar 3, 2005.

1. I have a new American Jazz with S-1 switch. Right now I have the Fender 8250's that came on it. I have tried and like the GHS boomers for good low end but I also like piano like lows and highs too. Yep, probably asking for the moon but what would you guys suggest. I do not like strings that are like rubbing your hand on a rasp. I have considered flats but do not want a dead thump either. I tried TI Jazz Flats on another bass. They were ok but did not knock my socks off but that was an Active MIM model. Maybe they would do better on this one. Also, I tried Chromes...I liked them on the MIM Active bass ok but they were not spectacular in the piano like tones. Elixers sound nasal on this bass. I am getting better on technic with R/W's but some strings exibit too much finger noise for me. The Fender 8250's feel pretty good but I have heard better tones. I really liked Rotosound Jazz 77 flats but they lost their piano like tone in about 2 weeks and just sounded dull after that. Also, I in addition to not wanting a rasp like feel I do not want heavy fret wear either.
    Tall order I know...but buying new strings is killing my budget.
    Gary :help:
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    It's pretty hard to get "piano" tone out of flatwounds anyway. Flatwound strings are what were used years ago for Motown and came standard on basses in those days. They have a lot of thump but do not really have tone you say you want.

Allow me to suggest nickel roundwounds. You can get closer to the tone you're looking for and they won't tear up your frets the way stainless steel roundwounds will. Stainless steels will, however give you a more piano-like tone, generally speaking.

About string noise: As your calluses buld up the noise will decrease and the noise will get lost in the mix anyway. That used to bother me but all my basses have nickel roundwounds on them now. Why? Better tone and the string noise is a non-issue.
  3. Which string/s do you recommend?
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm using D'addario nickel roundwounds (.050-.105s) on my Precision and I've used them on one of my Jazzes but I've got D'addario .045-.100s on both the Jazzes now but I may go back to the heavier strings on a Jazz.

One of the good things about nickels is that, generally, they last longer than steels before going dead and D'addarios aren't that expensive anyway. I think DR nickels might have more the sound you're looking for. The D'addarios seem to have a thicker tone. Just my opinion; I play blues and that sort of thing and that tone suits me better. I ain't into the treble-y thing.
  5. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    I love Fender 7150 nickel rounds on my Jazz. Smoother feel than D'addarios. Warm tone, smooth highs, but not the best for the piano tone if that's what you go after.
  6. I absolutely love the Rotosound 45's they have a great sound/feel, and last pretty long.
    I also like Fenders but they dont last long at all. pretty annoying. they have a great feel.
  7. Are these stainless, nickels, pressures wounds, or flats?
  8. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    right now i use daddario prisms, however i believe they may be discontinued/limited, and the ProSteels are their replacement. either way, they sound great.
  9. Thanks, that is what I just purchased for my MIA Jazz
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    D'Addario XLs are a nice balanced nickel string, and they are cheap ... but consider some nickel DRs. I use DR high beams (steel) on my J style bass, and I think they're just great.
  11. I put the Prisms on my MIA Jazz. I hate them. Just a lot of growl with no sparkle to them at all.
    Coming off tonight.

12. Well, here is my nights take on strings for the Jazz Bass.
    If you want a good rendition of a P bass using the S-1 switch in Series mode use D'Addario Chromes .45-.100's.

If you want an good all around sound use GHS Boomers or possibly TI Power Bass strings. Note: I have not tried the TI's on this bass but they did ok on an MM Sterling I recently had. Scott at Guitar Center in Arlington Recommended the GHS Boomers when I told him what I wanted and the type music I played (60's, 70's Pop Rock and some Country). He was dead on. These are the best sounding strings I have played on this bass. They make this bass really shine but you have to work on your technic if you are like me and tend to get some finger screech on the strings.
    For now I am sticking with Boomers. If I can not find that I will try D'Addario XLs.

Any thoughs certainly welcome. I am now broke on buying strings.
  13. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I use DR Sunbeams on my Lakland Joe Osborne. Man, I think these strings are a great match for the jazz. I can get a wonderful growl with these strings and I don't find myself ever really reaching for the bass control on my amp. I have had these strings on longer than I want to admit, but they just keep sounding better and better as they age. They have a good brightness when you first put them on and they have a good life. Also, they have a wonderfully soft feel and are very flexible under the fingers.
  14. [​IMG]
    I'm actually using the Rotosound RS66LD Bass Strings Long Scale
    but I like to use Ernie Ball 2834 Super Slinky Round Wound Bass Strings.
  15. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    well ive had TI flat on my HW1 since jan but tonight they came off and i put XLs on.
    I found the TI's had a great sound and a very good feel but just wasnt cutting it on stage playing more modern stuff.
    what a difference though, the xl's feel really rough and fat but the sound is very deep and clear.
    cant wait for the next gig.
  16. Thanks Dave Bass5

I will give them a try next string change.
    Sounds good (well exept for the rough part but that goes with most rounds)