Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Strings for ABG?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hungry Soul, May 24, 2002.

1. I just picked up a Dean Performer Plus acoustic, and the strings on it are dead. A nice bass however. Any recommendations/experience with brands would be helpful. :confused:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    First off, understand I generally hate rounds - I have Fender 9050Ms on most of my basses.

That said, my Tacoma Thunderchief came with Elixirs. Yuck. Mega-zingy.

At the suggestion of a fellow TBer, I tried a set of LaBella black nylons. Much better!

I'd like to try some real flats, but I'm worried about tension. I'm happy with the LaBellas for now - as a matter of fact, these are the strings Carvin ships on their ABGs. (They also sell them cheap!)

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    On my Tacoma Thunderchiefs I use Thomastik-Infelds.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Which ones? They're ones I'd like to try.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Its the set they have for Acoustic Bass Guitars.I use the light gauge set.its almost as if there is no tension on the instrument.the strings are not hard but ring out very nice and clear.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have several ABGs, including a Dean Performer PLus. I highly recommend those very same Thomastik-Infeld Acousticore Strings.
    They are a phosphor bronze winding over a nylon core, tus being a very low tension string (which ABGs like very much). They are also quite light gague, yet produce a wonderfully full and warm tone.

They were developed by TI in conjunction with Rick Turner, and are the only strings especially developed for piezo pickups. Due to their unique construction they eliminate a lot of the finger noise which piezos tend to amplify, and virtually eliminate ALL of the dreaded "chirpiness" to which piezos are prone. They also have a great string to string balance, which greatly compensates for the string to string volume discrepencies found in some less-expensive piezo systems, such as Dean's.

Due to the light gaugue and low tension, they are very dynamically responsive...meaning that a huge variety of tones are available simply through placement and direction of your hands. But, some feel that the nylon/light gague/low tension makes them a bit rubbery. Truth is it takes a very light touch with these strings to elicit the responsiveness, and you will find a whole world of dynamics and tones open for you.
    Interestingly enough, on a 32" scale bass, such as the Dean, they are not as rubbery feeling.

I might also add...these strings last and last and last. The set I have I my Dean, which is my "travel bass"...it gets a lot of mileage, and is played everyday...have been on for over a year, and still sound great!

My two main solo performance ABGs, a Godin fretted A4 and fretless A5 both sport TI strings also, I am continually complimented on the marvelous tone.

Max

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thank you both!

While I'm happy with my LaBellas for now, I'd like to give the TIs a try. I'm finding myself using a pick more and more, so I don't predict a long life for my current nylon wraps.

10. Thanks for the info guys. I will be trying out a set of TI Acousticores very soon. Sounds as though they are proven winners. So far I'm impressed with the Dean as a "practice bass" and this being my first ABG is an overall good experience. I really like my acoustic sound and dynamics on it. Its really a cool thing to get back to a raw unelectric feel but keep my personal tone. :cool:

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's right - this was your thread, wasn't it? ;)

Enjoy the Dean - I came very close to picking one up before I settled on the Tacoma. Dean makes some nice ABGs for not a lot of money!

12. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I will second that opinion of Dean ABGs, also. They are quite a bargain for not a lot of money....especially if you want something just for unplugged practicing.
    For a Korean-made ABG, the Dean's have quite a few nice details and are, suprisingly, very well made.
    I bought mine, a Performer Plus, to have something small (it has a small body; smaller than a dreadnaught size acoustic gtr) to travel with; to take camping or to the beach, for writing in hotel rooms and such. At first I thought the 32" scale might be bothersome, but have actually found it fun and easy. Of course, this, coupled with the small body size means you do not get a lot, if any, acoustic fundamental (more like the 2nd harmonic posing as the fundamental), but still a very clear and punchy tone.
    I use this bass for writing and in that purpose it gets played everyday. It is a very fun little bass to work bits out on...and, the TIs sound GREAT on it.
    Tho, it is not really loud enough to play unplugged with ,even another gtr, I did replace the Shadow PU with a Fishman Matrix system, and it proves to be a very viable plugged in acoustic.

Have fun with yours!!
    Max

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The black tape wounds from LaBelle. I think they're fantastic. Really deep and smooth sounding. Alot of those phosphor bronze strings make my ABG sound to much like a solid body electric.