1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good strings for CGCF?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Oct 11, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well i need to know wich gauges should i use for CGCF in 34" scale.

Thx in advence.

2. Check out the La Bella D tuning set.
    http://www.juststrings.com/lab-m70.html
    They're designed to be tuned D-G-C-F, but you could drop the low D to C without a problem. They're gauged .54-.76-.90-.111. (The gauges listed on the juststrings page are wrong.) I've been using them on one of my Rumblefish and they feel and sound awesome.

3. i use SIT strings gauges 50- 70- 90- 120- works pretty well for me

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I actually use a Rotosound .125 or Fender .125 top string, and then either rotosound or DR's for the rest of my strings. Usually I like .125 - .95 - .70 - .50 gauge strings. Beefy and good for down tuning.

5. Actually there's a little trick. For every half-step you lower, add .05 to the string. For every half-step you raise, subtract .05.

Example:
    If you use a .40 G string, F should be .50.

6. will a .125 fit in the bridge and the nut on a fender bass for an e string?

7. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    i've gone a couple of ways on this.

one way, i use a standard SIT powersteel set, 50 to 105 and just deal with the floppiness.

the other way, i string B A D G and tune C G C F.

it's a tossup for me which one is better. the lighter (E) string seems to fit better in the nut, but with some work, the B would also work i think.