Good strings for piezo pickup

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pthebassthumper, Mar 17, 2002.

1. pthebassthumper

Mar 17, 2002
    Looking for some feedback. I have a Samick acoustic/electric 4 string, and currently use Labella tapewounds, which are VERY noisy! It seems as though every fingering move is heard. I have heard of strings that are not metal core, but don't know who makes or what they're called, or if they're any good! Appreciate the help! P
  2. I don't think you will find any strings that have less fingernoise than tapewounds. You could try turning the trebble down on your amp.

Another thing to note is that piezo pickups need a preamplifier with a very high input impedence. Otherwize they will sound harsh and brittle. This could be the problem.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Piezo pickups do sound harsh if the impedence isn't matched, but it could be your strings. I don't recall the Labella tapewounds to be very trebly. You could give Dean Markley Flats a try. Once they settle down, you shouldn't have a problem with too much treble.

You could try rolling off some of the Treble and high-mids on your amp as well.
  4. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    You could also try Thomastik AcousticCore strings for Bass. They are the best sounding strings IMHO for my ABG that I have heard, and I've tried most of 'em. One caveot however, they are very low tension strings (average 28lbs). A light touch is instrumental (pun intended).

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

a 2nd on the Acousticores. These are wonderfully responsive (if a little light) strings, that have absolutely none of the dreaded piezo "clackiness"
    I use Godin ABGs in my solo bass shows (both fretted and fretless) and swear by TI Acousticores.
    They are far and away the BEST strings for a piezo only bass (they will not work with magnetic PUs)
    Yes, you will have to delvelop a lighter touch, but in the end this will only help your tone and technique blossom. Tne TI strings are very responsive, and you will find a whole new world of dynamics in your playing.
  6. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    I agree with Max, but then I agree with all T-I lovers!

I just wanted to point out that the T-I Acousticore series is the first (and I think still the only) set made exclusively for piezo p'ups. The steel core acoustics tend to deliver a bit of tinnyness that the T-I's don't, or more accurately, can't deliver.
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Preach on Thom-dude!

As an experiment (read: 'momentary lapse of sanity' :p ),
    I tried some LaBella ABN30's. Back-ordered for 6 weeks,
    they finally arrived. Blech! What the **** was I thinkin'?!?
    "Brass wound on nylon filaments" my left... They had more
    tension than a set of Roto RS44LD's.

Somebody got phosphor-bronze on nylon core right ;)

I won't stray nooooo mo' :D
  8. I use Fender 9050ML Flats, I get a really nice upright sound out of them.