Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good strings for rock/reggae/funk/punk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dmaki, Nov 1, 2000.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I'm looking for strings that would be good for rock, reggae, funk, and punk. I have an Ibanez GSR 200 with EMG P-J pickups. I've used GHS Boomers which were good, GHS B'52's which sucked, and Ernie Ball Slinkys which are good. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    David

2. David,
    I vote for Ernie Ball Slinkys.. they sound and feel great to me. Especially on the Rumblefish!

3. I´m with you... Ernie Ball slinky´s are really good... that´s what I have on my bass right now :)

and I also agree that GHS are not good... at least I didn´t like them (and I broke the B string :eek: in less than a week)

4. I use DR Low-Riders on my Stingray and Dean Markley Blue Steels on my Ibanez. The Dr's sound lot better than the Dean Markley's.. but both are far better than GHS (probably because i prefer steel over nickel.)

This question is sort of off this topic, but dmaki, what does the GSR 200 sound like with EMG Pickups? I've been looking for replacements, but i haven't made a final descision yet.

5. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    fender 9050L's Flatwound. great thump, long life, and if you crank the tone all the way up on your bass they are really growly. (if thats a word). You might want to try Rotosound RS66LD's. I hate ernie balls (they sound like **** and are over-rated plus i hate nickel.)

6. Flatwounds almost definitely won't suit punk, unless it's some weird post-punk stuff.

7. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    well im just sugesting string ideas. I like flatwounds, all of my basses have them. Those are the first and only string ever used on an electric bass, so im keeping it like that.

8. thebassbeast

thebassbeast

Oct 28, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    roundwounds ftw but flatwounds if you wanna sexy jazz sound :)