Good Strings For Slap

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jayb118, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Jayb118

Dec 6, 2005
    Isle of Wight
    Ok Before we start i'd just like to say im a completed n00b when it comes to strings. Im loooking to replace my strings on my Wesley B3505 5 string, but i have no clue about gagues or stuff like that.
    I want the strings to be more tense because the B on my bass flaps about and is not very pleasing to hear. Thanks.
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Check out the DR lo-riders. That should be a pretty good string to fit your needs.
  3. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Another good choice would be the GHS boomers 5-string set (45, 65, 85, 105, 130).
  4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I slap and like lighter guage strings. I have a set of DR Hi-Beams 40-95 and a set of DR Sunbeams 40-95 on their to my house. I'm gonna try both strings out on my fretted and fretless basses, and hopefully between these two I'll finally find the string that i'll want to keep using for a long time.

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I like Rotosound 45-105 on my 4 string great pop sound. The strings are really course and make a lot of finger noise. Also my GHS boomers don't sound to bad.
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Any stainless steel string will be sure to give a good slap sound. I think DR FatBeams are the best out of the ones I've tried.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

+1....I was a long time Bass Boomer guy until I switched to lo-riders...very impressive strings for slap tones. I'll be trying the fat beams next when these wear out, but you really can't go wrong with DR's
  8. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I really dig the sound of nickels for slapping. Not too tinny or bright, just mellow and smooth. Try DR sunbeams, imo.
  9. polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    Try the Sadowsky Stainless 45's. Fat and bright at the same time.I Love em...