Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good strings for slap

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hova9018, Mar 13, 2006.

1. hova9018

hova9018

Mar 13, 2006
    well im new to the bass, been playing for about two months or so, i've had the sme strings on my bass since the day i bought it, which was about two or so months ago. Today, i wuz goin REAALLY hard on my G string playing Can't Stop, and the thing popped on me. hahaha sorry for the long story... but heres the question: What strings are good for slap and about how much do they run?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

DR FatBeams. The ultimate slap string.

3. I like DR HiBeams

4. +1 on DR Hi Beams... they lose their extreme 'new round wound sizzle' just like any other string, but they maintain a nice bright sound MUCH longer than any other string I've ever played. Also, smoother feel IMO than other Stainless Steel strings.... and a little looser tension than some others.

Depending on your retailer... selling price between $24-$28 dollars for a 5 string set.

5. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    La Bella Hard Rockin Steel is ringing my bell now!!! WOW:hyper:

6. +1 for Hi beams. Great string.

Lo Rider stainless steels are great for slap as well.

7. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    what about sunbeams? I love the sound of nickels for slap, but i don't like the feel of hex-cores. Hence the round-core sunbeams. Anyone tried these?

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Fodera Vic Wootens or Labella Supersteps or Slappers. Smith Compressors or GHS Pressurewound in the ligher gauges are also amazing considering they are not full roundwounds and are real smooth to play on. Though really, a lot of brands have a good string depending on one's hand chemistry and bass and whatnot.

9. Elixirs are good for slap because they stay alive for a long time. Gotta love that brand-new string sound.

10. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    40-100 GHS bass boomers.

11. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I dig Ken Smith Taper core Med-Lights for slap. I use them on my Warwick and they sound and feel incredible.

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Rotosound Swing Bass stainless steels, any medium or lightish gauge (45 thou G or thinner)

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    D'Addario EXP coated strings are great for slap and stay crispy a very long time due to the special coating on them.

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 DR lo-riders are a verrrrry close second...about $40 for a 5 string bass (Fat Beams - $35 for 5 string)

Figures I'd get my 1,100th post talkin' about slap

15. Another +1 on the Hi-Beams here. I slap a ton, and the DR's last and last.

16. MicB

MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
    Flea uses GHS Boomers, just to put that out there.

17. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    +1 for DR's in general. Lowriders, High Beams and Fat Beams will all work well, the problem is spending all that money to find out which one you like most.:smug:

18. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    Roto's Gauges 45-65-80-105-130. Stainless steel roundwounds.
    swing bass 665LD

19. joe skinner

joe skinner

Mar 17, 2006
    Fodera Victor Wootens seem to work all right for the SlapMeister himself, as well as for Anthony Wellington

20. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    who makes the fodera strings?