1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good stupid simple comp for multiple users live?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryno1330, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I need to grab a comp for use in front of our preamp at church. I would like something pretty dummy proof as I'm pretty much the only bassist that knows how to run one but it's obvious that we need one for everyone to use. The ones I like and have used are too complicated for this scenario (Empress or Darkglass Hyper Luminal).

Recommendations? Are Keely bassist comps good? I see they have comp, threshold and gain?

CEBill likes this.
  2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Are you looking for a pedal or a rackmount compressor for a band mixer? When you say 'preamp at church' is it for the bass rig that other bassists use?

If the latter - Dummy-proof that doesn't scare people is probably a Boss CS-3, Boss BC-1, MXR M87 Bass Compressor, Seymour Duncan Studio Bass, EBS MultiComp or Keeley Bassist.

Highroler79 and Ryno1330 like this.
  3. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Rothwell Love Squeeze? Two knobs, transparent, very quiet.

- John

4. EBS MultiComp. Easy.

ueezb, GMC, jthisdell and 3 others like this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm on board with the "two knobs" approach. How 'bout an older yellow & white BBE OptoStomp?

Riis

Daniel Piper and Ryno1330 like this.
  6. Zymba

Zymba Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Why exactly do you think you need a compressor in the first place?

Jazz Ad and Wasnex like this.
  7. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Good question. We just run a Sansamp bass driver DI (on the floor) into the board so a pedal comp before that.

Highroler79 and Zooberwerx like this.
  8. This guy : D

ueezb, 4dog, BazzaBass and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Because I say so, and so do a few others. Thanks for asking though.

10. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    This looks good. I see there is a blue label 3 dial and studio with 2 dials and a switch? Is the latter easier? I like the option of the switch for a different flavor (similar to my Hyper Luminal).

Zbysek and Highroler79 like this.
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The BDDI has some degree of baked-in compression which is based on the drive setting...I think. Hey, wait a minute...these guys figured out the BDDI and that has more than two knobs.

Riis

12. They all have the switch. It's a three position switch, with two-band and standard modes, as well as a tube mode (meant to emulate the feel of a pushed tube amp). The third knob on the new one is essentially a threshold knob. The old version relied on your bass volume to adjust threshold trigger, with a two position switch on the side to raise or lower sensitivity. I have the old and it's fine for me but the third knob is a nice option to have.

Zbysek and Ryno1330 like this.
  13. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Becos CompIQ Mini
    Rothwell Lovesqueeze
    Tsakalis Audio Works Zipper
    Vick Audio R Comp
    Union Tube & Transister Lab

One of those five, depending on budget and preference.

My reviews ought to help: http://compressorpedalreviews.com

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  14. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Keeley bassist.

jdh3000, JohnnyBottom, ruju and 5 others like this.
  15. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Doesn't get more 'stupid simple' than this.....

61MsRyVkwzL._AC_SX466_.jpg

lomo, ruju, jallenbass and 5 others like this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Never mind, I can't help you :bored:.

Clemense, Matthias and BazzaBass like this.
  17. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Not the nicest response when asking for help.

Clemense, getbent, Paco Leon and 4 others like this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Honestly this guy is awesome. JHS Whitey Tighty. Hmmm, maybe paint it for church but it is really easy to use, can't mess anything up:
    =tbn:ANd9GcRcRohoXj3oMxBlhyzxreZjy0ymjpnJ8g7dYO7M4NGW4zOnMuTu-X9i1lsasgPYOgn589T0yuHQhg&usqp=CAc.png
    Or better yet the Pulp & Peel, it's got a couple more features and works as a DI, pretty sure it has the same compression as the Tighty:
    =tbn:ANd9GcQPhcf-2DN6AVInMzYsxjvXAN70MPkH44qsY5Y-jF_II_7hA7Dmg1XHL7Cx2GlICMabkf0q2aHbJg&usqp=CAc.png

Liko, timmo97 and Ryno1330 like this.
  19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Doesn't really answer the question "why" though does it?

It was a perfectly legitimate question. Depending on your precise need he could have steered you one way or the other with suggestions.

20. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Whoa you guys are sensitive. I was being dry, which admittedly doesn't come across in type.
    The reason for my response was words matter, and the way he worded his response was in no way trying to be helpful. "What are you trying to accomplish with one" or "what problems are you having" are completely different than "what makes you THINK you NEED a compressor?".

Since I'm a jerk and have to explain why I want a comp - here you are. We have a new sound system and a staff which isn't trained to use compression and limiters on a global or per channel scale well yet. At a church most weeks the "sound guys" are great people that want to help and don't understand more than how to watch a db meter and run a couple faders.

Myself and another guy who are seasoned have played primarily over the past couple years and haven't cared if we had one. Now we have a couple high school kids who are learning to play for the first time live, some with picks, some without, most just trying to play the right notes and not concerned they just had a 15 db difference in picking throughout the song.
    Last night at rehearsal I decided I had wanted one as I use it as an effect anyway and the final straw was when an incredible and seasoned guest guitarist/bassist asked why we didn't have one after he played with the high school kids the previous week.

Does that satisfy people? Apparently all that info is needed instead of just asking for compressor recommendations, which many have happily given without a backhanded question.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020