Good sustain Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricky Martin, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Ricky Martin

Ricky Martin

Jan 15, 2006
    Hello everyone!

I recently bought a Jackson CMG Concert Bass and sounds great, looks great, but it doesn't have sustain at all, I'm going to buy another bass, this time 5 strings to play modern rock.

Need advice, Thanks!
  2. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Neck thru's, like a Rickenbacker 4003 (however 5 string Ricks are few), in general have more sustain than bolt-on's like your Jackson. But that isn't always the case so don't buy a bass without trying it just because it's neck thru.

In the meantime, plucking lighter and turning up the volume will give you better sustain.
  3. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    also ive heard that necks with multiple peices can improve sustain. also, strings that run through the body can improve sustain, or so ive heard. or just go and try some out and see what you like.

4. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I got a peavey grind NTB and it has a lot of sustain. Go and play one of them and see what you think.
  5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Of all the basses I´ve tried, my Zon Sonus 5 is the one with more sustain. Obviously the graphite neck has a lot to do with it.
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    The basses with the best sustain I have owned were a couple of Status' with graphite necks. Graphite is known for this, however, so it may not be completely fair to use that as an example. The sustain was almost ridiculous.

More commonly, the G&L's, every Pedulla and the few Peavey Cirrus' I've had sustained well. Generally, neck thru's are believed to be the best for sustain but every Pedulla I have owned was a bolt on and G&L's by design are bolt ons. Maybe I just got lucky.
  7. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    My old aluminum neck Kramer has great sustain too. Just don't stick you tongue on it when playing outside in the cold.
  8. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    My Warwick Jazzman 5 sustains at least as long as any 4003 I've owned. Much more so than my Bongo. I think most instruments even of the same model will differ slightly.
  9. Ricky Martin

Ricky Martin

Jan 15, 2006