Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Tape Recorders?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm becoming more and more interested in musique concrete and noise art and I'd like to start getting into the recording and splicing process. I've done it before on reel-to-reels, and it'd be nice if I could get one of those, unfortunately they are often prohibitively expensive (still scouring garage sales though).

I'm looking for something hand-held, dictophones might work, but I'm interested in something that can record ambient sound, not directionally. Microphone recommendations would also be nice.

I know this is a shot in the dark, and maybe a waste of time, but I'm trying it anyway.

2. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    If the splicing part doesn't have to be tape to tape, as in razor blade and splicing tape, you might just get one of those Panasonic cassette recorders for $30 or so. It's a little hard to splice cassette tape though. :)

I'm just wondering though; do you need several recorders to pick up the sounds at several locations at once, or would it be more or less an in-line (time-wise) thing?

Either way, I'm also wondering if you can 'splice' the parts together using a PC with one of those freebee multitrack programs. Does it all have to wind up on tape?

Anyhow, there's workarounds either way I think.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as far as microphones go there are a ton of really great ribbon mics around that are awesome. Just be prepared to sell a bass to buy one of the really good ones.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I've done splicing with cassette tape. It's hard, no doubt, but worth it considering what DAT costs nowadays.

I've found a Panasonic hand-held recorder that I've found that looks like it has everything I'd need. I'm not doing anything too elaborate, its just be recording random sounds at various places. I have access to our campus recording studio, so I could record some stuff, hook it up to the mixer and the studio and work out the splicing on Protools, don't know if any of the signal will be lost; hopefully not too much. I would just like something small that I could carry around with me and record random noises that I could piece together and try and figure out what it's communicating when you hear it.

I can't sell any basses! I only have two, and one of them needs a new neck! :(

Looks like shoplifting...or getting a job.

5. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    That actually sounds pretty interesting. It was interesting when I first heard of it back in music college in '78 or so, and it's still interesting - though I've never indulged myself in it. :)

Too bad you can't get a small college research grant to get some materials and supplies, or even interest the music - or broadcasting - people to lend out a unit for you to use. You know, like those small handheld video cameras. Those have pretty great sound as well.

Random sound has always been a fascination for me - like the never-repeating sound of a water fountain for instance.

Anyhow let us know how it goes! :)