good tapping bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 11, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey all,
    well lately ive been using the warwick a lot. however, it lacks high end and even using an eq when i tap doesnt help. what bass would be a good "natural tapper" and would that bass be even better with highs and mids boosted? thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmhmhm, what Warwick are you using?

I've never played a Warwick that lacked high end.
    Maybe it's time to change strings?

A tweeter-equipped cab might be useful too.l
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well only playing on one bass, I find that my Elrick sounds great being tapped.. Even in a live setting, the taps come out nicely
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Stu Hamm uses Kubicki.
  6. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea its mainly a live thing. i cant ever hear the highend on stage. the warwick i have is a streamer std. and i changed strings yesterday. so who knows. maybe its me.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Excessive high end is why I got rid of my Warwick...guess I've been playing passive P Basses too long.

Doesn't Stu play a Fender Hamm Urge?

I suspect my MIA Urge would be a good tapping bass but I sure don't play that way.

Billy Sheehan does pretty well with his Yamaha Attitude (which isn't really too different from a P Bass)

Wooten's Fodera sounds pretty good:)

How about your existing Warwick with some new strings (maybe lighter gauge...not sure if it's the slapper or the tappers that use light strings) and maybe some compression.

What kind of amp/cab are you using?
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    at the moment im bouncing back and forth between sunn 1200's head and peavey mark 3 head with a sunn 4x10. however id like to get a different cabinet set up.
  9. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I find my Spector NS2000 Neck-thru ridiculously easy to tap. It's fantastic.

10. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    A Bossa bass is about the best tapping bass I've ever played. Good luck finding one, though. They're no longer being made and most that own one don't sell them. I have my OB6 set up as a piccolo bass. It rocks!

Stu Hamm used to play Kubicki until Fender gave him a signature bass deal (Urge). He likes them short scale necks...:bassist:
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    First off, I've owned 4 Warwicks, and the one trait that they all had was that they were on the trebley side. I currently have a Dolphin Pro 1 5, a Streamer Stage II 5, and I have owned in the past a Corvette Pro 5 and a FNA 5. I've never played a Streamer Standard, but maybe it has differrent electronics than the ones I have owned/own that would cause it to not sound as trebley.

I also tap a lot which is why Warwicks work well for me. Lately though, I've bought a couple of Modulus basses with the composite necks, and I find those to be the ideal basses for tapping. The notes ring clear and sustain well. I turn the highs up a bit, but not too much because the composite neck seems to bring out the highs well. My advise would be to try a Zon or Modulus out. You'll definitley be impressed.
  12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you sell your car (given that your car is worth something), you could get a Zon Hyperbass. Manring seems to do well with them.

If that's out of your range, you could get a lighter gauge of string. That would make tapping easier and give you more top end, but you might sacrifice some of your other tones.
  13. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i actually was thinking of selling my car. anyone interested in a 93 cavalier. good shape?:rolleyes:
  14. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    how much for that 4x10 cab and do you have pics,
  15. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    no i dont have any pics. not at teh moment anyway. its in great condition. i dont know abotu prices, im looking $300 or $350, thereabouts. let me know

and would jazz basses be good tapping basses? im getting ready to get a geddy within the month. i played a standard j-bass and it sounded fine to me. what do you all think? my other options are a ric, another warwick or a zon. but those obviously require much more money in savings than i have.